On a scale from 1-10 how worried should I be

First let me explain a few things, so I'm not very normal I guess you could say. I was born with teeth first off, I didn't keep them very long because I needed room for my normally baby teeth but that's a thing. Also my teeth as a baby had little to no enamel when they emerged from the gums and the same goes for my adult teeth and I think I still have a baby tooth or two at the age of 21. I also grind my teeth A LOT while I sleep and clench my teeth when I'm stressed or concentrating really hard. I have tried several kinds of mouth guards and I either shred it and swallow pieces of it or spit it out while asleep and grind my teeth. On several teeth it's missing so much you can see the root pocket through the top of the tooth.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you have any ideas on how to fix or stop this stuff that'd be cool.

So now for the whole reason I came here. I noticed my tooth had a cavity when a piece of the tooth broke off from using a wooden tooth pick. It doesn't hurt at all unless I poke deep inside of the tooth with a tooth pick. It has a dark spot close to the gums that looks like it's inside the tooth but showing through the dentin if that's possible. This tooth had a cavity about a year ago and I had it filled but I'm thinking now after seeing it that it was never cleaned and was just sealed shut. Here's a picture, can't really get any better pictures because it's hard to focus the camera on something In my mouth. My new health care does not provide dental coverage so I tend to wait till it's life threatening or just let it take its course if not threatening. But I've heard that an infection of the root can spread to the jaw and if that goes on to long you may need a bone graft and that sounds like a lot more money and it sounds painful. I want to try to have a filling or root canal procedure but I don't know if that'll be possible, I just really don't want an extraction.

IMG_20210303_194116787.jpg

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It does look like you have a cavity on the affected tooth. With an x-ray, we can see a little bit more of how the tooth structure is looking on the inside of the tooth. Unfortunately, the longer you wait, the less likely it is to fix the tooth, and the more likely it can become that an extraction will be the only option.
Make some time to see a dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question