Odd shaped crown

I'm in the middle of a Invisalign treatment. Right after getting rescanned mid way through, a new dentist I just switched to said I've got a cracked tooth and need a crown. So I had to juggle getting the new crown and getting rescanned.

My wife has a few crowns and tells me that she can't tell the difference.
My dentist did the thing where you bite down on some carbon paper and shaved the crown down. The thing is, I wonder if that was the right thing to do. Yeah, my teeth touch in weird places, but I'm in the middle of an Invisalign treatment. I think she shaved too much of the anatomy of the crown. It doesn't feel like a tooth anymore. It feels like a gum drop or like I have wax stuck on the inside of my tooth. The way she shaved it, I'm afraid I may need a whole new crown. Honestly, I want to just tell her to remove it and try again. I'm sure she'd be hesitant to agree. I already questioned her to the point where she seemed a little annoyed. When she said my tooth was cracked, I questioned why my last Dentist didn't notice. When I she showed me a pic, I just said it looks like silver filling to me. I'm sure they're going to try to shave more off in the middle of the tooth or something to make it feel better, but I don't think that'll work.

I started looking online about crown removal. I read some sites that say removal can damage the tooth, especially with newer forms of cement. I also read they can cut it and pry it off with minimal risk.

Has anybody gone through this? I don't know how to approach this with my dentist. What if she tries to take the crown off without cutting it. Should I refuse because it may damage the tooth? I've been feeling very anxious about the whole ordeal. I don't know how the appointment is going to go. I don't know how high my expectations should be on the crown feeling like a real tooth. I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm sitting in the chair. I don't know if she's a good dentist or a bad one. On one hand, I'm afraid they can't do anything, on the other hand, I'm afraid they'll do too much and things will be worse.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A system called Metalift Crown and Bridge Remover System may be an option. It may not work well for all ceramic and Zirconia crowns. Usually to remove the crown, we must destroy the existing crown by sectioning the crown and pry it loose. In doing so, the tooth underneath can get some surface damage. It's hard for me to give you my assessment. It's not the best scenario when you don't totally trust your dentist.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question