Number of years warranty on different implants?

I heard some have no warranty, a few are five years, and a few are lifetime. How to determine this information? Is the warranty on "parts only" or also on the dentist's labor?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The warranty only applies to the parts. Good brands very rarely fail due to parts failures, so this is largely irrelevant. And when laypeople talk about implant failures, this is a wide term that can also mean failure of the crowns, and healing issues. You need a good implant surgeon (I prefer a periodontist), with a good general dentist (or prosthodontist) who can assess your situation and give you the pros/cons for your particular situation. Some patients just don't have the right situation to allow for implants, and a good dentist will tell you so.

Vote:
The warranty only applies to the parts. Good brands very rarely fail due to parts failures, so this is largely irrelevant. And when laypeople talk about implant failures, this is a wide term that can also mean failure of the crowns, and healing issues. You need a good implant surgeon (I prefer a periodontist), with a good general dentist (or prosthodontist) who can assess your situation and give you the pros/cons for your particular situation. Some patients just don't have the right situation to allow for implants, and a good dentist will tell you so.

So you would allow an implant in your jaw with no warranty? How much does an implant cost? Do any periodontists warranty their work?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
So you would allow an implant in your jaw with no warranty? How much does an implant cost? Do any periodontists warranty their work?
There is no such thing as a "warranty" for medical/dental work. We're working within a biological system, not a car, and many things can go wrong that are unexpected. That's why we talk about risks. You can't sue for an implant that fails if the dentist or whoever laid it all out for you, and performed their work to the level of their peers. You can sue if they do something patently stupid, like putting in implants without taking X-rays or similar. We take calculated risks all the time, like driving a car or crossing the road - but I wouldn't drive with a drunk. And legally, if I promised a patient a warranty, my insurer would not cover me.

Vote:
I'm raising this issue because implant warranties DO exist. Straumann is said to be lifetime, and Implant Direct indicated five years, Your last sentence is unclear.

I'm not referring to negligence, but rather implant warranties.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm raising this issue because implant warranties DO exist. Straumann is said to be lifetime, and Implant Direct indicated five years, Your last sentence is unclear.

I'm not referring to negligence, but rather implant warranties.
Yes, if Straumann say lifetime, that's good. But I can't think of a case where a Straumann implant failed. Their quality control is extremely good. Sometimes though, labs might mix a cheaper non-Straumann component with a true Straumann product, and that's asking for trouble. So always ask for Straumann components throughout, and ask for the barcodes that accompany each component. I scan all mine into the patient records, and give patients a copy themselves (I won't be around forever).

Vote:
Yes, if Straumann say lifetime, that's good. But I can't think of a case where a Straumann implant failed. Their quality control is extremely good. Sometimes though, labs might mix a cheaper non-Straumann component with a true Straumann product, and that's asking for trouble. So always ask for Straumann components throughout, and ask for the barcodes that accompany each component. I scan all mine into the patient records, and give patients a copy themselves (I won't be around forever).

Excellent, but most dentists use other brands... not Straumann. Is it cost? Lack of salespeople? Stupidity? Usually if a product stands out, like chocolate ice cream, the word spreads and product sales grow.

Vote:
Straumann can be costly. But you get what you pay for in most of life.

Thanks for your reply.

How much more money is Straumann than say BioCare? Why don't periodontists offer a selection of two or more for their patients?

What goes wrong with an implant years later? If it's rare, why don't all implant companies offer a loooooong warranty?

When it goes bad, how does the patient know? Or is it only an Xray diagnosis? When whatever goes wrong, is it easily correctable?

Vote:

Ask a Question