Not sure I trust dentists' assesments

So I wanted to post on a site that is read by dentists that are NOT possibly making money off of me. In the last 15 years I have had probably 5 different dentists. Usually I changed because I moved or insurance has changed. The different dentists have pointed out that my teeth show signs of wear. This is definitely true. My top front 6 and bottom 6 teeth have definitely been filed down flat.

At first I was told that I grind my teeth at night and I needed to buy a night guard. Then with another dentist I was told it wasn't grinding, it was because of my bite pattern and I was wearing it down when I chew. So I needed some braces to change the bite pattern. The next dentist I had said it was grinding, and so on. It seems like they always are trying to sell me something and not fix me. I am just not confident in the assessments I am getting.

The fact that I have been told a few times it was grinding makes me wonder because when I was told it was my bite pattern it made more sense. My back teeth don't seem to be affected by the grinding as they are not ground down. My wife has never heard me grind my teeth at night and my jaw has never felt tight or uncomfortable in the morning. In fact, I have a deviated septum so I cant breathe through my nose when I sleep anyway so I usually sleep with my mouth open. This all made me think it was less grinding and more with my bite pattern. But when you think the dentists are just trying to upsell you something, like an add-on for your new car purchase, you don't feel confident in their opinion. Any thoughts on this, especially from dentists out there who don't have a financial interest in the outcome?

My opinion is that you should videotape yourself sleeping over a few days to determine if you are indeed grinding at night. Also, I would recommend being more aware of how you chew foods to determine if your teeth alignment is the issue.

Vote:

Ask a Question