Normal to buff out cavaties with drill and no fillings?

I took my 5 yr old son to a local dentist about six months ago. He did a few fillings and while he was on there said he saw a few more he thought were just starting and "buffed them out with the drill real quick" and did not follow up with any fillings or coatings of any sort in that area. When I took him back a few days ago, he had tons of cavaties in those same areas, 3 of which needed stainless steel caps. I'm pretty good about brushing his teeth so this was suprising to me, I wonder is it normal to do that with a drill because it seems like it would remove all the enamel in those spots and start problems. Also one of the caps fell off today, it looked like there was no adhesive of any sort put under there, and it didn't fit right (wiggle around). The edges of the caps are really sharp, and there are cuts on my child's lip. He was in allot of pain through this whole process, which I'm sure could be normal but he almost choked on a ton of fluid and gauze when he pretty much fell asleep in tears and exhaustion towards the end and they didn't notice. I'm guess I'm really just trying to figure out if my dentist is a hack ripping off medicaid or if these are just the difficulties of pediatric/cosmetic dentistry. And if it's the former, what should I do about it?

Ask a Question