No Abcess visible, still do a root canal

I have a front tooth with severe pain. I've been to a dentist and they cant find an abcess or any other reason for the pain. They did offer to do a root canal, Which I'm ready to do if it will get rid of the pain. I just don't feel comfortable with there being no "reason" for the pain, but doing a root canal. Does this sound reasonable? is a root canal likely to work?
I'm ready to do just about anything to get rid of the pain, but thought I'd see what others have to say about this particular scenario. .

FYI, the pain started when I woke up a week ago with severe pain in the tooth. It's gotten a bit worse since then. I've been using oragel and taking OTC meds, though the Dentist just gave me antibiotics and Vicodin. Also, the tooth in question has a crown (real tooth was ground down to a nub and the crown was put on years ago.
hot/cold dont seem to effect the tooth much (maybe makes it feel a little better temporarily). touching the tooth hurts as well as pressing on my face around my nose/upper lip (above that tooth).

THANKS for the help

Ask a Question