Night guard: which jaw should it be fitted to?

Hello there everyone.

Due to night-time grinding, I have substantially worn down three adjacent molars on my LOWER jaw, so I've been fitted with a hard plastic "night guard" to wear on my UPPER jaw.

My question is, I'm worried that this will allow the night guard's plastic to rub back and forth against the worn molars. Therefore, wouldn't it be better if the night guard was fitted to my *lower* jaw instead, because then the worn molars would be (more or less) better protected from this rubbing?

When I had a previous night guard quite a few years ago, and it was fitted to my lower jaw... and my new one is fitted to the upper one... I'm confused!

Also, I should note that these three adjacent molars are my only worn teeth.

Many thanks for your advice!

Most of the cases, the night guard should be fitted to upper jaw due to the overlapping of the upper front teeth to lower front teeth. The night guard serve to displace muscles and would prevent or reduce the tendency to grind teeth so it doesn't matter if the night guard is fitted to upper jaw

Vote:

Ask a Question