NHS or Private?

I have to get a full bottom denture made. I have been informed by my dentist of the pros and cons between NHS free denture and paying private for dentures.
She said that the NHS is basically one size fits all and the dentures are bulky.. where as if I pay to go independent the denture will be finer and made to fit properly and the technician will make adjustments until the denture fits perfectly and I am happy with it. It will cost £250. I would like to hear from anyone who has had NHS and independent dentures made.
Also when I had the impression taken yesterday, before I had made the decision to go private and pay for the denture, the mould didn't even fit my mouth, it was too big and then when I said I was going to pay privately, my dentist said she would send away to get the proper mould tray to fit my mouth. The inside of the corners of my mouth are actually sore and slightly swollen the morning. So my question is... Was the mould tray she used an NHS one size fits all? Is that actually true that there is only one size mould tray fits all? Do you get a better service going private than what you get on the NHS? I look forward to hearing your views on this matter-thanks.

Last edited:
Solutions
There is no one size fits all mould tray if you mean for making dental impressions. It's not like it's an expensive piece of equipment and dentists should have various sizes, given they treat children too. Any dentist that does both private and NHS work should have all the equipment already. In terms of going private you may have access to better materials.

Vote:

Ask a Question