New crown gave me headaches, earache

I'll try to keep it short. A little backstory.

About 7 years ago I got my first crown in my life on my lower-left molar (not the last one, but the one next to it). I had no prior experience with crowns. For the next 3 days the crown had me on my knees in pain. It was horrible pain. And then for the next 12 months I always felt pressure there, and my gums were always sensitive. I didn't know if this was how it's supposed to be, so I lived with it.

Then I changed dentists, and the new dentist removed that crown. Said it was way too big. I felt such a relief immediately, I remember that vividly. And for the next few years I always went to this new dentist, and I did about 10 crowns there. All of these crowns are Cerec crowns. The same-day crowns. This was like a dental office, so I had one person do my root canals, and another one take the print for the crown, make the crown, put the crown in, and cement it. Each person did what they're trained to do. I will say that I never had a single problem there. Not a single infection, not a single bad-fitted crown, not a single anything at all. It was a beautiful thing man.

About a year ago I moved to my hometown, and I finally needed a dentist recently because my lower-right molar (not the last one, the one next to it) chipped - a piece broke off. So I looked for dentists online, and I choose one based on google reviews, and how his office looks, and how he looks, and I went there. He cleaned up a tooth and did the root canal. Eventually he took a print for the crown (using the paste method, not digitally). Eventually the crown arrived, and I went to get it put in and cemented. We agreed to leave it in uncemented for 2-3 days to see how I feel. The crown is pretty tight between the adjacent teeth, so it hasn't fallen off once, and it only wiggles a tiny tiny bit, barely noticeable.

So I come home from the office with my new uncemented crown, and within the hour my head starts hurting, then my ear starts hurting, then my jaw/neck starts hurting a little bit. The crown is in the lower-right side of my jaw, but the pain I was experiencing was on the left side of my head mostly. And this pain remained with me for the next 30 hours or so. Then for the next 30 hours it was less painful, but still it was painful and I was feeling pressure in my head. And today, 7 days later, I still don't feel perfectly. I still feel weird, like pressure in my head (entire head, not just the left side). I went for a run earlier and the crowned tooth/area was pulsating a bit after.

I'll just say, the root canal was done perfectly. No problem with that.

I went and I got an x-ray. Here it is (the crown is the big one in lower-right side):

311405349_1145024326133198_1927483587981145569_n.jpg

I did get a second opinion. He looked at the crown, said it looks good, but he can't tell exactly unless I get an xray.

I got a third opinion. She looked at the crown, and the x-ray, and did the bite test with the strips. She told me that "maybe" the crown is a bit high, maybe it's a bit too large. But still nothing conclusive!

So here I am, I guess, looking for a fourth opinion. How does this all sound and look to you?

Thank you so much.

No, I didn't. This ruined my life.

About 3 months after getting the crown, I got a filling on a tooth above the crown, and I got the crown next to the crowned tooth shaven down a bit after an occlusion check. On that day my headaches stopped :)

So I was right, the problem was occlusion.

A few days later while I was eating something, my TMJ (jaw joint) clicked on the right side, and it's all been downhill from there. My jaw joint on the right clicks, my right ear hurts, I have swollen lymph nodes on the right of my neck and under and behind my right ear. My right tonsil is swollen. And since about a week ago I have ringing in my head.

I've been to about 25 doctors. Maxillofacial surgeons, oral surgeons, dentists, ENTs. They're all quite useless. I've had Xrays, CBCTs, and an MRI done. I learned nothing. I have no idea what the problem is, I have no solution. I'm holding on for dear life right now.

I should have removed that crown after a few days and refused to have it put back in. But I didn't. I tried to make it work. I thought I'd find a good dentist and they'd know what the problem is and we can fix it. But no one cares.

So there you go. Sorry, I wish I had some better news :(

Vote:
Oh no. What kind of crown is installed? In your first post you mentioned you got Cerec crown. Is this new crown different.

I recently got a PFM crown installed on my right lower molar 2 months and the dentist has just been brushing me off with the discomfort. I had shooting pain in my neck and ear. In this final visit I finally got a little relief in the last 3 days because they shaved the top tooth, and the contact has lessened but still odd sensations on this crown.

Vote:
I don't think its resolved because still having sharp pain after a specific point of contact on the crown that still shoots down my neck and ear. Also, get sporadic burning sensations in that specific gum area. Its weird, very uncomfortable, and affecting my sleep.

Vote:
Yes I did, the most odd thing that bothers me most, when I'm sleeping on the right side I get a jolting sharp pain that wakes me up out my sleep every night.

Vote:
Are you sure the pain is from that tooth? Could it be from one of the other teeth nearby?

Do you have pain in the tooth on hot/cold? Do you have pain in the tooth if you tap it with something? Does it hurt when you chew?

Vote:
Most definitely isolated to that tooth. Tapping it is sensitive and there is a constant subtle throb sitting up right.. The xrays supposedly doesn't see infection. i don't know what to make of it at this point.

Vote:

Ask a Question