New adult tooth at 29?

Not really sure where to post this, but here goes:

I am a 29 now and have had dental issues since I was a child. (Not cavities, just gaps in my teeth where permanent teeth never grew in.)
From about 15-24, I never really took care of my teeth, never kept a great diet, and never saw a dentist.

About a year ago I had to go to the dentist because the left side of my face was swollen so much it looked like I had a golf ball in my cheek. Turned ito to be a bad infection in a cracked tooth and it needed to come out. The tooth in front of it was a baby tooth that never had an adult tooth grow in under it. (At least there was never any tooth in an X-ray I've seen.) I had them both pulled and my week later follow up, the dentist said I was good and it was heading nicely.

The gum in the extraction site never healed fully and it left a small hole. I'm pretty good about keeping it clean and rinsing thoroughly after every meal, just in case.
Tonight I was eating dinner and I had a very dull ache in that area, so I immediately went to brush my teeth. I notice now that the hole is larger (looks like two small ones now) and that something hard and sharp is protruding from it.

It feels like it could be a tooth. But I suppose that it could also be a bit of food stuck in there.

Is it possible this could be the very late arrival of a new adult tooth? Is that possible or even likely? Has anybody had any similar experiences?
I do have dental insurance, just an overly irrational fear of the dentist.

Solutions
It would have been visible on x ray. From recollection I understand we are born with all our teeth. Wisdom teeth can appear that late maybe, but perhaps you have some residue from the extraction that was left behind and needs to be looked at by the dentist.

Vote:
Not really sure where to post this, but here goes:

I am a 29 now and have had dental issues since I was a child. (Not cavities, just gaps in my teeth where permanent teeth never grew in.)
From about 15-24, I never really took care of my teeth, never kept a great diet, and never saw a dentist.

About a year ago I had to go to the dentist because the left side of my face was swollen so much it looked like I had a golf ball in my cheek. Turned ito to be a bad infection in a cracked tooth and it needed to come out. The tooth in front of it was a baby tooth that never had an adult tooth grow in under it. (At least there was never any tooth in an X-ray I've seen.) I had them both pulled and my week later follow up, the dentist said I was good and it was heading nicely.

The gum in the extraction site never healed fully and it left a small hole. I'm pretty good about keeping it clean and rinsing thoroughly after every meal, just in case.
Tonight I was eating dinner and I had a very dull ache in that area, so I immediately went to brush my teeth. I notice now that the hole is larger (looks like two small ones now) and that something hard and sharp is protruding from it.

It feels like it could be a tooth. But I suppose that it could also be a bit of food stuck in there.

Is it possible this could be the very late arrival of a new adult tooth? Is that possible or even likely? Has anybody had any similar experiences?
I do have dental insurance, just an overly irrational fear of the dentist.
I have a new tooth coming in under a tooth and the upper one in falling apart at age 83.

Vote:

Ask a Question