Need to restore #9,10 + Hole in Maxilla

I am 43, and have been missing teeth #9 and 10 for my entire life. I took a bad fall on my mouth as an infant and damaged both the deciduous and adult teeth—both sets of which had to be removed surgically. I had a Marilyn bridge put into place when I was 14 and this lasted until a cracked molar filling changed my bite at age 40 and I started tapping on it with occlusion. Then some minor facial fractures in the L maxilla moved teeth 11 and 12 lingually and the trusty Marilyn bridge had to be removed after 25 years.

There was a plan to move 11 and 12 outward, get a bone graft for a sizable defect in the superior ridge, and put in two implants for 9 and 10. After a CT of the anterior ridge, this plan of a graft with two implants was deemed not a viable option due to the amount of missing bone (a full-on A→P hole) and proximity of the bone gap to the central nerve foramen (~1mm). Canine tooth #11 is still out of place presently causing significant malocclusion after both Invisalign and Bioliner-Plus (with pegs and bands) failed to move it appreciably.

And so, I have stalled out at a crossroads on my restoration work for my missing #9 and #10 teeth, and would appreciate some perspective.

Presently, I'm still trying to decide about whether to proceed with or without a bone graft. Even with a graft, I would need to decide whether to go with: a single implant with cantilevered pontics, another Marilyn bridge, or a conventional 4-tooth bridge. Putting it all together, I've really got 5 sets of options.

1. Orthodontics, No graft, Marilyn bridge: Less expensive, saves teeth #8, 11 but less permanent and leaves misaligned #11 in place that may require prior orthodontics or major adjustments.
2. No graft, conventional 4-tooth bridge: Better outcome with matching #8 & 9, able to effectively move the misaligned #11 with the new bridge.
3. Orthodontics, Bone Graft, Marilyn bridge: Better alveolar ridge shape, less likely to show soft tissue gap with high smile, possible to do a single or pair of implants later(??), #11 requires othodontics or a major adjustment.
4. Bone Graft, conventional 4-tooth bridge: Matching #8 & 9, Better alveolar ridge shape, less likely to show gap with high smile, but later implants are not a good option, since teeth #8, 11 are reduced to pegs and would require crowns.
5. Orthodontics, Bone graft, single implant w/ 2-cantilvered pontics: Most expensive, teeth 8 & 9 do not match, leaves #7 in place that may require orthodontics.

I’m not made of money, and I’m not a fan of dental surgery. My feeling is to go with option #1, 2, or 3. I am concerned about whether the A-P hole in the maxilla above teeth #9, 10 is a problem in itself, so I’d put #3 on the table too. Anything’s possible.

Questions:
• What's my best option?
• Does leaving the boney gap there, pose more or different risks than filling it in with a graft? (e.g. Is it possible that it is a cyst harboring an infection?)
• Does letting the graft heal for a longer time make a two separate implants more likely to be possible later on?

Feel free to call me (20six.947.491five) or reply to this thread.

May we all be well!
~T.R. Morris, ND
Seattle, WA

Crossroads

Hi,
I just registered to an account and found your post. I hope my input is still on time. If possible, I would go for orthodontics, the bone graft and implants on #9 and #10. The implants will help to stimulate the bone, preventing further resorption. If you get a conventional bridge from 8-11, even if you graft the ridge, the bone will shrink over time. This will generate spaces under the bridge over time. You may still need to have veneers on #7 and #8 in order to perfectly match your new implant crowns. Do not forget to have a mouth guard after the treatment is completed. It will help to prevent tooth wear on the lower front teeth and prevent veneers from popping off if you grind your teeth at night.
Note: #8 is not a great candidate for a bridge of that span. It has a fairly conical root,

Dr. Bolivar Luperon,
Prosthodontist, Cosmetic and Family Dentist
hcident.com

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question