Need help understanding dental billing

I have MetLife Dental insurance. last month I went for a cleaning (oral eval, xrays, peridontal maintenance.

After the cleaning the receptionist said my bill came to $300. I figured thats what the portion of the bill was that insurance did not cover.

Today i received a letter from my insurance company saying, I should only be billed the difference between the 'network fee' for actual services provided and your "plan benefit"...
*Upon subtracting the difference, it came to only $100, NOT the $300 that I was charged at the dentist office.

Does this make any sense to anyone? I feel like something fishy is going on at the dentist, please help- thanks

Have you spoken to your dentist office? It could be that you have a credit on your account. Many times receptionists have to make adjustments to accounts after insurance payments come in. They will have the same copy of the EOB (explanation of benefits) that you have. You might start there. Either way, they should be able to explain to you why they collected the amount that they did.

Vote:
I spoke to them after I wrote this. Receptionist said the dentist "split the bill" meaning made 2 separate claims. However upon hearing this, I called my insurance company and they said they have not received a 2nd claim for the service done on the same day.

Vote:

Ask a Question