Need help identifying this lump on lower lip. Is it a mucocele or muccous retential cyst? Maybe something else?

HTX

Please help ! Need help identifying this lump on lower lip. Is it a mucocele or muccous retential cyst? Maybe something else? Please help!

About two weeks ago I started feeling a small lump on my lower lip. The size and shape of the lump is a small, round dome and is very soft. I can push on it and flatten it out and when I let got it becomes the same round dome shape. The color is translucent around the outside and darker blueish inside. The lump has not grown and remains to look the same. Over the last couple of days, I have been rinsing with warm salt water a few times a day and also using Listerine mouthwash in the morning and at night but have not noticed any change.

I have added a few pics for your vieing. My apologies, each pic was taken in a different light and why it looks a bit different.

Any idea what this lump on lower right lip is?

Attachments

• C071DF47-CD49-40AC-BE7F-9B8BBE2559E8.jpeg
    C071DF47-CD49-40AC-BE7F-9B8BBE2559E8.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 25
  • CD8D7B05-7939-47B7-A715-35BE8858DA99.jpeg
    CD8D7B05-7939-47B7-A715-35BE8858DA99.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 29

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Could be a mucocele or retention cyst. For a definitive diagnoses, I would see a oral surgeon. Pigmentation in a lesion,especially on a sun exposed area, such as the lower lip, can be of some concern. The oral surgeon will excise the lesion if necessary and send for testing

Vote:

HTX

Thanks! I have an appointment for August 15th. The good news is that it has not grown. Might have even got a bit smaller (not much).

Now I am not as concerned that it is something worse than a mucocele or retention cyst.

Do you think that is a reasonable assumption?

Sorry, August 15th still seems far away.

Thanks again!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes I think it is a reasonable assumption, but I would still keep my appointment for 100% certainty.

Vote:

Ask a Question