Need Advice - Impacted lower second molar

Hi All,

I am a patient and appreciate if I can get some advice from the professionals here. I am a 30-year-old woman. I have impacted lower second molars that grow sideways on both left and right side. The second molar is pushing the tooth in the front (I believe that's the first molar). I had bad cavities on both of the impacted lower second molars and first molars because food easily got trapped. I remember my dentist mentioned that the cavities were deep near the nerves. My dentist managed to fill the cavities around 3-4 years ago. However, when I eat / drink cold, the tooth reacts to cold and it gave me like a throbbing sensation on the lower second molars area.

My left hand side is even more complicated. The situation is worse because I lost my lower second premolar 12 years ago and I haven't done any bridge to fill the gap. The upper second premolar starts drifting down which I believe is called super eruption.

I did some researches online, many articles suggested to upright the second molar at young age. I wish I would have gotten a chance to do brace when I was still a teenager. At my age of 30, Is it too late to do the brace?

I am also planning to have a baby in this year or two. I am not sure if doing the brace works well with pregnancy plan.

Instead of upright the second molar, the study mentioned to extract the second molar as a least effective approach. If I choose to extract the lower second molar(s), I wonder if the wisdom tooth is going to come out? Any other alternatives besides these two?

I would like to get the problems as soon as possible but right now I am so dreaded at the same time. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Attached is the X-ray of my lower left (impacted second molar, first molar, and missing second premolar) - image was taken last month.

Attachments

• 20191222.jpg
    20191222.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 381

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. 1st molar is hopeless; extract it.
  2. 2nd molars might be able to be uprighted, but should initially take out 3rd molars before trying. The 2nd molars can only easily be uprighted by tipping backwards. Moving them forward as well would be difficult and probably not worth trying. You would fill the gap with either a denture, or implants, or possibly a bridge.
  3. As an alternative, if you extracted the 1st and 2nd molars, hoping for the 3rd molars to come through - this will NOT work satisfactorily.

Vote:

Ask a Question