My tooth #5 has a medial crack but is now asymptomatic. ?RCT ?Crown

My medial (lingual) surface of tooth #5 (right upper) has had a crack to at least the gum line for at least two years. 10 days ago the gum under it was painful and tender and the tooth hurt when pressing it in any direction. 6 days ago it had only two hours of heat sensitivity relieved by cold. Started on Amoxacillin then the temperature sensitivity disappeared in two hours and I had only displacement discomfort.

I've consulted three Endodontists: First Endo saw the crack and heard my history, found normal temperature testing and said I need an RCT. Second Endo found pressure sensitivity, hammer sensitivity, and normal temperature testing. But he had an Electronic Pulp Tester and #5 did not react, but nearby #4 and #6 did. Based on this EPT alone, he said I need an RCT. Xray normal.

Went to my General Dentist and he filed down the high points on the #5 occlusal surface. All my symptoms disappeared !!

So I consulted a third Endo and he doesn't use or trust an EPT. He said since I have no pain, but do have the crack and did have the symptoms, he said to NOT get a RCT, just have the tooth crowned.

Now I don't know what to do. Crown now, or RCT and then crown.

Since the EPT was the only test which made one of the Endos recommend the RCT, I was thinking of getting the EPT repeated and if sensation has returned, just have a crown placed.

EPT has false negatives: http://www.juniordentist.com/false-negative-pulp-response-seen-in-pulp-testing-in-endodontics.html

Help !

Last edited:

Ask a Question