My crowned tooth broke at gum level and fell off. What to do now? Please help. Happy new year!

Hi, I have my upper molar tooth crowned around 14 years ago. Today while I was eating an energy bar, it fell off. Not just the crown, but the part that the crown covers, all fell off. The tooth broke at slightly higher than gum level so I can still feel a little tooth remnant. Since I don't have any dental insurance, I don't know what to do next. This tooth is barely visible unless I open up my mouth widely. Plan to call up my dentist when the holiday's over and find out how much it would cost. What are my options? I know implant may work but it cost way too much. Don't want to spend $4k on this tooth. What would happen if I just leave it as is? If I don't extract the remnant, will it decay and cause gum infection? Is there a way to glue some artificial tooth on it so that it can be fixed cheaply? Thanks for your advice!

You're lucky that you didn't swallow it.:) My friend has the same situation as you, as we're hanging out and eating at a restaurant her crown fell off. My advice is to call your dentist and get appointment as soon as possible, you will have to see your dentist before anything can be done since you said it was broken. If you are working on your budget, then you can try dental tourism to save a lot of buck. My friend and I travel right across the border in Mexico that cater almost exclusively to Americans. We each had one crown done and and I also had a ceramic filling and many other treatments, we spent a bit over $700 US.

You can contact the dental tourism that was able to assist us, if you're also interested:

Phone Number: +1.303.500.3821
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Vote:

Ask a Question