My adjacent crown (#20) got chipped after an extraction on #19.

Hi -
I just had an extraction of #19 tooth. Everything went very well. The after-extraction side effects went
very well and I experienced very little pain and the tooth socket is healing very well. I will be having
an implant in that space.
When the dentist did the extraction, he inadvertently chipped the crown on #20 quite a bit. Is this normal to happen or is the dentist at fault and
did not take care to prevent this from happening? I am 78 years old (if that is important)

Originally I was going to have to pay 50% of the total cost of the new crown. But then they decided that I shouldn't pay anything.
My question is:
Should I be reticent to use this particular dentist again for another extraction.
He previously did another crown on my front tooth when the crown came loose after a fall I had and he did a wonderful job.

Karen
I

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Unfortunately chips on fillings and crowns are a normal risk to any extraction procedure. I would not hesitate to use the dentist again. It seems like he did the right thing in paying for the new crown. And the extraction also went very well with minimal complications.
Most dentists have had this happen at least once, even though we take care not to damage adjacent structures.

Vote:
Good day

Unfortunately chips on fillings and crowns are a normal risk to any extraction procedure. I would not hesitate to use the dentist again. It seems like he did the right thing in paying for the new crown. And the extraction also went very well with minimal complications.
Most dentists have had this happen at least once, even though we take care not to damage adjacent structures.
Hi,

And thank you Dr. M for your input. My husband never had this happen (and he's had many extractions - maybe not near
an adjacent crown (I don't know), but he was thinking that because the dentist was unseasoned that was an error in judgment.
I didn't feel that way, but I really wanted to know whether these things happen. I feel better.

Karen

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's a risk, and sometimes in the best of hands these things happen. At least they seem to be taking care of you.

Vote:

Ask a Question