Multiple external root reabsorption

Hi I went to the dentist with pain during flossing about a year ago, he discovered on x-ray that I had 4 external cervical root reabsorption. I am 45 years old I have very healthy teeth I have only ever had one cavity and no other dental work in my mouth. The teeth had to be pulled and I had implants put in. Fast forward a few months after my crowns replaced during a check they found another tooth had absorbed. Had another surgery with an implant two weeks ago went back for postop check another tooth has reabsorbed I am up to six now. I have seen my family Doctor Who is referring me to see if there is any underlying causes. None of the dentists and doctors or periodontist seem to know what is causing this or how to stop it. Has anyone experienced this Or have any insight I am desperate to find a way to not lose any more teeth.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Do you perhaps have an x-rays or cbct scans of the relevant teeth, just for some more information?

Vote:
This is the most recent tooth affected. The others have been removed. And the full mouth series was the very first before any implants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 99

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From the pictures you provided, it is difficult to determine if the area was caused by a cavity due to decay or due to resorption. Sometimes if food gets stuck in between teeth, and we don't clean it out, a cavity can form that begins to " eat away " at the tooth and it can resemble resorption. This would have been picked up by a periodontist.
However, we do get something called idiopathic external root resorption, which is rare and of which the cause is still not completely understood. I would rule out any underlying health factors, or deficiencies just to be on the safe side.
But in the end, the only treatment would eventually be extraction with implant placement, since root canal treatments would be no guarantee that the resorption would stop.
I am sorry that this information isn't all that helpful. Hopefully you won't have any more teeth affected. Continue to go for your check-up visits every 6 months, to monitor the situation in your mouth.

Vote:
I have already had 5 teeth removed with implants due to multiple external root reabsorption by a periodontist. It has now spread again to another tooth. This would be 7 now.

Vote:

Ask a Question