Mouthwashes

Do any of them actually do anything or are they just flavoured water? They all make claims to reduce plaque, whiten teeth, make gums healthier, but then I read any that contain alcohol damage the teeth. I wouldn't rely on these alone,
I would still brush at least twice daily and floss, but are there any that would give added benefit?

I don't know for sure, but my dentist told me that for some people certain mouth washes are too harsh. I've been told to avoid Listerine personally, but I feel it cleans the mouth really well.

JJ

Vote:

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Do any of them actually do anything or are they just flavoured water? They all make claims to reduce plaque, whiten teeth, make gums healthier, but then I read any that contain alcohol damage the teeth. I wouldn't rely on these alone,
I would still brush at least twice daily and floss, but are there any that would give added benefit?

Hi Colin,

You're correct to maintain brushing/flossing twice/day, however certain types of Mouthwash can be of assistance as well, depending on the condition of your own oral health. For example, if you're diagnosed with gingivitis.

So let's take a closer look...Most mouthwashes contain four common ingredients: Water, Alcohol, Flavour & Colour. Looking beyond those common ingredients you can group mouthwashes into 4 general categories:
- Antimicrobial (reduces bacteria)
- Fluoride (helps slow & prevent tooth decay)
- Astringent Salts (masks bad breath)
- Odor Neutralizers (chemically inactivates odour causing bacteria)

As mentioned above, people that suffer from gingivitis may benefit from an Antimicrobial and/or Fluoride mouthwash. If on the other hand, you don't suffer from any specific oral health issues, perhaps an Alcohol-Free Fluoride mouthwash can be a good alternative to slow and/or prevent tooth decay.

If your simply looking to treat bad breath, I would recommend instead using a sugar-free chewing gum, preferably sweetened with Xylitol.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Great Lakes Dental
Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Vote:
I've heard that there's a cult following that's grown up around the original orange Listerine, it's fabled as a cure all for many different - and not all to do with teeth - ailments.

I've done a bit of Googling but I can't find whether its value lies in it being and antimocrobial etc. mouthwash.

I know that it feels as though it would take paint off a car though.

Has anyone an answer to what it offers and has anyone else heard of its mythical qualities?

Vote:

Ask a Question