Molar pushing out, causing problems for over a year, 5 dentist visits, please help

Hi, I have an ongoing problematic 2nd lower molar for over a year now. I’ve had this since a very deep filling close to the nerve. Quick history, deep filling done, tooth incredibly painful and sensitive afterwards, a week later replaced with temporary filling, almost complete relief, though tooth still a little sensitive. Few months later permanent filing with a lining done. Tooth ok, though a little sensitive. Gum often bleeds when flossing, can feel rough edge with floss.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. Tooth feels high and coming into my bite. Go to have it adjusted. Unfortunately dentist did not know how to adjust teeth and ended up adjusting all my teeth on that side before I stopped the dentist. Saw another dentist at the same practice immediately afterwards who made the adjustment in a couple minutes. Tested tooth was still alive. Trouble was now half my teeth didn’t touch on that side until I tilted my jaw a few millimetres. I was told my teeth would move and fill the gap and not to worry. I’ve had jaw pain and neck ache since this but just when I thought and felt my teeth and jaw were coming back into line, my 2nd molar is sticking out again.

This is where I would really love a dentist’s opinions on what I should do. Been to another two dentists re this molar pushing out. One just under 2 months ago who suggested RCT as there are very little black spots around the root of the tip. He did say not enough to warrant a RCT so wait and see. Went to another dentist last week, no further black spots or bone damage. He suggested to see if the tooth is alive he drills a core into the tooth, replace the filling and put a temporary crown on with no anaesthetic. The latter does not sound like great troubleshooting to me? I don’t think it’s worth disturbing the top half of the tooth unnecessarily.

Current state of the tooth - no pain biting down on it (never has been). Gum at the front of the tooth bleeds heavily when flossing and floss seems to travel far down the tooth. Started rinsing with salt and bi carb 2 days ago which seems to be firming up the gum and less bleeding.

The gum hasn’t be right for a long time. Could it be as simply as the gum infection causing the tooth to push up. The tooth comes up high. As it’s at the back of my mouth it touches first and I can’t touch my other teeth on that side.

Goodness sorry this has got so long, I’m just at my wits end as to what to do. I don’t want to pull the tooth.

Ask a Question