Molar extraction

Rox

Hi,

I had my molar extracted a week ago today. I started antibiotics (clindamycin) on Monday due to extreme pain. It's looking better than it did, but still wondering if it's on the right path to healing as I'm still taking Advil and Tylenol throughout the day and icing it to relieve the pain. The "white/grey", which I'm told is normal, continues right against the last tooth.
I'm also wondering why the back ( where my wisdom tooth was removed years ago) has some damage as well. The dentist told me it was a complicated extraction, and it took some drilling and about half an hour before it was finally out.
It doesn't feel like a dry socket even though I have that black hole but it's definitely one of the most painful things I've gone through.

Attachments

• 20190501_184551-1.jpg
    20190501_184551-1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20190501_190659-1.jpg
    20190501_190659-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 308

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Your 2nd molar extraction site looks good. The "white/grey" discoloration is normal epithelial repair tissue. Have your dentist keep an eye on the small bump on the 3rd molar area under the cheek side. More times than not, the bump will even out. If not, the bump may not get adequate blood supply for repair and may present as a bothersome "skin tag" depending on the size and symptoms may or may not need to be removed.

Vote:

Rox

Your 2nd molar extraction site looks good. The "white/grey" discoloration is normal epithelial repair tissue. Have your dentist keep an eye on the small bump on the 3rd molar area under the cheek side. More times than not, the bump will even out. If not, the bump may not get adequate blood supply for repair and may present as a bothersome "skin tag" depending on the size and symptoms may or may not need to be removed.

Vote:

Rox

Thank you, I truly appreciate the advice/ feedback... I've already been to see my dentist twice since the extraction and I'll definitely keep an eye on that little bump. I just can't believe the amount of pain this is causing. That's why he said everything looked ok but he'd feel better if I took the antibiotics, which has helped with the swelling and the pain a little bit so far.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I hesitate to prescribe antibiotics due to increased resistance potential. Lower molars are more difficult thus more traumatic to extract due to tougher anatomic bone. Expect more down time with the healing process.

Vote:

Rox

He was hesitate as well but since he couldn't really explain or see why I was in so much pain, he said he felt better if I took them. I really dislike being on them but haven't taken any in years so figured better safe than sorry. I didn't have any issues with past extractions, 4 wisdom and another back molar on the right side. I have a high pain threshold so I'm really surprised at how much pain this has caused. This is 8 days afterwards and I still need pain relievers about every 6 hours, my cheek is still slightly swollen and is very sensitive to the touch (on the outside).

Vote:

Rox

And sorry, I looked at the pic again and I'm not sure which 'bump' you're meaning. The one on the actual existing molar or way in the back where the wisdom tooth used to be? Once again, thank you so much for your replies.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think your extended pain is unusual and taking the antibiotics prophylactically maybe wise. Be sure to finish and never skip doses. The bump behind the recently extracted tooth down by the cheek could be excess tissue or fistula (draining abscess). Both should clear up.

Vote:

Rox

I think your extended pain is unusual and taking the antibiotics prophylactically maybe wise. Be sure to finish and never skip doses. The bump behind the recently extracted tooth down by the cheek could be excess tissue or fistula (draining abscess). Both should clear up.

Vote:

Rox

Thank you so much. Yes, I'm going to take the full script for sure. Hoping the pain will lessen soon... it's very weird in my opinion. Recovering from minor knee surgery from 3 weeks ago so maybe my body is just overwhelmed and reacting differently because of all that. Who knows. I'll see him again Friday if the pain is still a major issue.
Thanks again.

Vote:

Ask a Question