molar extraction at six years old........

hi there!!

I'd just like to ask, is it advisable to extract a molar on a 6 year old ???
my little brother is suffering from tooth decay due to past incidents that involved not having him drink water after he drank infant formula, fast forward 3 years we visit our dentist and she recommends a full treatment of his teeth... which involved quite a few root canals the first few went well and then one day his right side molars just started hurting we went to our dentist and she started a root canal which was quite painful (from the sound of his screams) he's in pain right now and we're considering an extraction (which our dentist did not recommend since he'll be needing them untill he's 12.

we really need advice about this .....

Hi joaquin,

Sorry to hear about your little brother.

I assume that you are talking about baby teeth molars since you said the dentist said he'll be needing them until 12. If the baby root canal (pulpotomy) is not providing relief for the pain, then extraction of the baby tooth is advised. In terms of the consequences of extraction, it is best to maintain the space for the adult teeth by using a space maintainer. If you have any x-rays, it would help in providing you with more information.

Please don't hesitate to ask for more advice!

Vote:

Ask a Question