Mixed advice which has already cost £250

Hi,

This is my firs post and I now becoming stressed.

After 6 years of none smoking I would like to treat myself to a nice smile. I do restrict my smile because I have a large crown at the front which causes embarrassment, I have had this for 15 years now.

I decided to have a consultation with an Orthodontist who said a brace would provide me with a great smile, but I would need to replace my crown at the end of treatment.

I then had a separate consultation with my dentist (who is also an orthodontist - i think) who said if I have a brace then my front tooth would be damaged by the brace and I may lose it because the crown is on a post. He advised me to replace all my front 4 teeth with crowns.

Who should I take most confidence in? Surely crowning 3 perfectly good teeth is overkill?

Any neutral advice would be great in this stressful situation.

Also I have had a quote for £3600 for invisilgn brace, is this ok?

All the best.

It's very hard to advise you without seeing x-rays. If you have other teeth that need to be straightened orthodontics would be good. If you are really uncomfortable with both treatment plans you may choose to get a third opinion from another dentist. Someone that can examine you in person and see your x-rays would definitely be in a better position to prescribe treatment than someone online.
Best of Luck

Vote:

DTS

I'd go with orthodontist advise.
You do not need 4 front teeth to be crowned if you can correct your smile with braces. After going through the braces you might want to change not pleasant looking crown for aesthetics purposes. Post has nothing to do with orthodontic tooth movement. Price for invisalign is about right. Also, crown could be polished and possibly saved, unless you do not like the way it looks, because it's too old.

Vote:

Ask a Question