Metal post material broke after a year?

Hello,

My adventure with crowns started in 2005ish. At that time, I had a tooth extracted due to an abscess (#13). Not too long after, I had one of my front incisors extracted due to an accident that left it broken at the gum line. The dentist at the time decided the best option was to make a 7 tooth bridge from the incisor next to the broken tooth back to my molar behind the extracted #13. This cost $16,000 for just this round (thankfully my kind and amazing grandmother offered to take care of the cost). This was only the beginning.
I moved out of the state, and a few years later started having some pain in #14 at the end of the bridge. I had it checked by the dentist here who determined that tooth would need to be pulled as well, meaning that long bridge would need to come apart. They asked me if I would like to have the long bridge again, which I said no to because I then had to pay again to have all of those crowns replaced (again) after this round if anything would go wrong with any of the teeth. This would be the second round of crowns on all of these teeth already.
After many appointments I finally had the crowns finished, now with individual crowns in the front ( the one missing now with an implant) and a four tooth bridge to cover 13 and 14 that were extracted.
Here is where my issue comes in: when the prosthodontist put the final crowns in, he seemed to have a lot of trouble getting them to stay and was getting frustrated. They kept falling out, especially #8, but also #7. He kept trying to make them stay in and pushing on them. For the next week my mouth was VERY painful right above that tooth, with stabbing and throbbing pain. I had never had that happen with other crowns. It finally faded and I thought everything was fine, until maybe a month or two later.
I then noticed a small painless bump on my gum above #8. I didn't think it was anything much at first, but kept an eye on it. It got slightly bigger, but then it started leaking something and went back down. My degrees are not in the medical/dental field.... I initially thought it was one of those little bumps that happen it your mouth once in a while, BUT it then filled back up with fluid. I called the dentist and asked them to take a look at it to see if it was dental related. They made an appointment for an apicoectomy, which was about three months after I had all of the crowns put on. It continued to repeatedly fill with fluid and drain until the appointment.
In the next year, my husband got laid off and we lost our insurance. A year after all of the crowns were placed, that same #8 came out. I called my dentist, but they informed me they would not be able to take me due to being on state insurance, even if I paid the full price out of pocket. Not even for a consult, which normally they offer for free. I went to the local community center, where they glued it back in. It would continue to come out several times in the next couple of years, while my husbands insurance went in and out- he continued to get laid off repeatedly. The community center glued it back in four times it total, and I have glued it back in countless times. Sometimes daily. The last time the community center glued it back in, she drilled some of the crown off for space because apparently my bottom tooth was hitting it on the inside of my mouth, pushing it forward and causing it to repeatedly come off. The metal post actually broke, with part of it stuck in the crown and the other half in my mouth. I'm guessing this was from the bottom tooth repeatedly causing force on it.
My husband's work has finally called him back long enough now for my old dental group who performed the work to accept me back with the insurance. I went for a consult with the oral surgeon, who confirmed my hunch that by now I will need another implant. It has been worked on so much now that there is absolutely no tooth left to be seen on what was originally a full tooth. Before I could ask him, he mentioned he was going to ask about getting a reduced fee since it happened so soon.
I then also had a consult with the prosthodontist who had placed the crowns. He looked confused when he saw the broken post and said that the cost might even be more than the estimate they had given me (about $4200).
I now have an essix in and have an appointment for extraction/bone graft/implant coming up. The receptionist informed me that the manager states they can't offer any money off. Her reason is that they did not originally perform the first root canal. I do not understand what that has to do with the metal material breaking in two pieces most likely due to being hit by my bottom tooth???
In addition, now that they new year has started, the cost will be at least a few hundred more than the estimate, of course.
Ultimately, right now I am extremely frustrated. I now have over $30,000 in my mouth- soon to be about $35,000. I am only 33 years old! There is now not much left under these crowns. Contrary to the somewhat offending comments/assumptions made by my dental group regarding oral hygiene and my health, I brush twice a day or more, floss AT LEAST once a day, use my water pic, and I must have mouth wash! The first dentist I went to suggested that my first born absorbed all of the calcium from my teeth. I hound my husband constantly to floss his teeth- which he does NOT...gross- yet his look perfect (for the time being...we'll see), yet I have so many issues. I eat healthy- vegetarian- and avoid hard/sticky candies. It's truly irritating and has been causing many tears and anxiety. I have three children and I would much rather pour all of this money into activities/education for them. At this point I am tired of always being at the dentist and ready to get an upper plate. I mentioned this to the oral surgeon and he stated it wouldn't be worth it because I would have to get the remaining teeth extracted. Right now I have 10 remaining on top, but I was consulted last year that #3 is close to needing an implant as well if the crown comes off again.
I apologize for how long this is. I am new to this forum and do not know how long the posts typically are. I really appreciate anyone who has read this far. To sum it up, my questions are:
What does the root canal have to do with the metal material breaking in two pieces due to being hit by my bottom tooth? I honestly do not remember who performed the initial root canal. I am guessing it was the first round in 2005, but they are no longer in operation to get records.
Why did it hurt after he couldn't get it to fit? What specifically caused the pain/ bump on my gum after this?
How often and how soon do metal posts usually break in two pieces like this?
Should I consider getting a top plate soon (remembering also that if either tooth on the end of that four tooth bridge fails I will most likely be needing 3 or 4 more impants/ bone grafts,etc)?
Should I consider having this done by someone else?
I worry that it will not look the same as the others crowns in front. I am also worried about my husband getting laid off again. It is finally a long enough time period to get all of this taken care of (4-6 months).
Is it unusual that they are not willing to work with me on the cost, given the time period and what happened?
Please help me expand my knowledge on this!
Thank you in advance!

Ask a Question