Medical error, root canal over instrumentation.

Hi all, this is my first thread in this forum. In 2013, I had a root canal treatment done to the right upper molar. The root canal was overfilled (over instrumented) that the filling substance peirced into the maxillary sinus.

After that I began experiencing some strange symptoms and didn't expect that the tooth was the cause. Symptoms like, head pressure, dizziness, loss of concentration and feeling like I'm spaced out, ear pain etc. Those symptoms started to increase in their severity over time. I even developed a psychiatric disorder called depersonalization, a disorder where you feel like you're not inside your body and only an observer of external activities and surrounding. In simple words, it's like a constant brain fog.

Two years had passed. The symptoms became very severe and I still don't know what is wrong with me. I had the root canal treatment in 2013 and had the same tooth extracted in 2015. When I had the tooth extracted a miracle happened. I got cured instantly of all the symptoms and from depersonalization. Felt like my head and face were very congested and then a pressure got released and I could breath easily with blood pumping sufficiently to my brain.

My happiness didn't last for long. It was a temporary full recovery for five days and then the symptoms came back more severe than before.

Please people help. Any idea, advice or suggestion would be really appreciated. I've done every test possible and all of the tests came back normal. I had undergone two sinus surgeries and used sinus meds and migraine meds with no relief what so over. After I got relapsed headaches occur as a new symptom mainly migraine on the same side of the damaged tooth which is the right side. I've been living in hell for three years. And to be honest, in the last year I've been contemplating committing suicide. I'm a member of dpselfhelp forum, which is a forum for the depersonalization disorder. I made a thread about this issue and no one has an idea of what's wrong or what took place.

Thanks for reading
And
Thanks in advance for those who are trying to help and suggest anything that could be of use.

Last edited:
It could be coincidence with something else, but you may be onto something.

The filling material is supposed to be inert. In one case a dentist had obtained a harmful dental filling without knowing how he got it or where it came from: http://www.dentalwatch.org/questionable/sargenti/overview.html Hopefully you still have that extracted tooth if you are interested in testing it. Can you ask the original dentist what filling he used and the distributor/manufacturer?

Titanium is widely cited as inert- but that claim is not true. I've read of people having allergic reactions to titanium, and this paper argues that allergy testing should be mandatory prior to placement: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4248517/

I'm not sure what your sinus surgeries were about. Hopefully you didn't get sold into a sinus bone lift.

Try routine sinus rinses with saline water? Perhaps there are trace contaminants left up there on the sinus floor.

Also from my understanding, a non-living tooth/implant perforating into the sinus cavity allows sinus flora to reach the mouth, and oral flora to reach the sinus- causing infection in the bone between (researchers discovered this via culturing samples from above/below, sorry I don't have paper link handy). Not good at all if you have a nasty pathogen. In my opinion such a circumstance should never be allowed and that perforating object be removed.

Yes, substances can cause unwanted suicidal thoughts. I experienced that as a vulnerable child thanks to GSK pushing ineffective Wellbutrin on minors and a professional doctor that wanted to be rewarded with a cruise... So it is plausible to me that this filling could have caused your experiences.

Curious still about your experience when the tooth was removed. Perhaps the numbing agent had something to do with your temporary relief?

Vote:
Another possibility is the antibiotic treatment for the extraction. Gut flora can have a large effect on mood. I see a claim that ~90% of the body's serotonin is produced in the GI tract. Were you treated with oral antibiotics before the onset, and during the lack of symptoms?

Looking around online I do see claims that low serotonin can result in depersonalization.

Healthy gut flora can be made again by... a fecal transplant. Do some research about that. Might take a few tries. If you're not rich then just go find somebody you trust (and is usually happy mood-wise) and ... explain things. Read a case where a mother did it for her son using a blender. In her case I think the doctors did it once while telling them they may have to do it a few times if it doesn't work the first time, but they didn't want to pay for it again so they just did it themselves till her son got better.

Reading elsewhere online they do have oral capsules (with poop in them) vs a suppository. I'm really skeptical of the oral capsules surviving the stomache acid though. My personal theory is that the appropriate/healthy intestinal flora is first obtained via the umbilical cord from the mother, and not from the baby's diet, putting things in their mouth and whatever.

Anyways. I hate non-life saving oral antibiotic usage for reasons like this. Lots of unforeseen long-term side effects. e.g. All these long term costs to the patient and decreased life satisfaction just for a few hundred bucks to the dentist for unnecessary wisdom tooth removal. Yes I'm disgruntled about things. So... good luck in your research.

Vote:

Ask a Question