Maryland bridge problem.

Hello.

My first post here so thank you in advance!

I had a Maryland bridge fitted about 2 years ago to replace a front tooth. I have noticed that there is a minor silver line/scratch in a curved pattern which runs about half the length of the top surface of the tooth.

My first thought was the tooth crown has cracked. The scratch is not visible from the underside and if running a nail over it there is no groove or fracture edge. It's still smooth.

Do the wings of a Maryland bridge go through the entire structure of the fake tooth? My feeling is its either a surface scratch that can be polished out or the wing is detaching from the fake tooth ( not the real tooth) cause it to crack other time.

Can white fillings be used to repair Maryland bridges?

I am obviously going to book a dentist appointment to check but being in the UK our dentist service is about a 2 month wait!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can you post a photo? The wings are usually metallic but can sometimes be made of ceramic. Either way, I have never seen a false tooth break off the supporting metal substructure. A Maryland bridge fails when the whole thing falls off - wing(s) and false tooth.

Vote:
Where I have circled in the photo you can see a faint line almost like a semi circle on the outer edge in the front incisor. It doesn't show behind and doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the tooth.

Does the entire Maryland tooth have a metal structure and the tooth is built around it?

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_090722775~3.jpg
    IMG_20220729_090722775~3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 9

Vote:

Ask a Question