Mandibular Nerve

Over the last 2 ½ years I have been suffering with Left sided facial pain after a dental procedure. The problem started after a filling in my left molar with a local anaesthesia followed by electric sensations/ severe shooting pains across my lower left jaw, teeth, tongue and lip area. I was unable to eat or brush my teeth. The following six weeks, the dentist recleaned & re-filled the Left two molar teeth several times, at times I was jumping off the dental chair due to severe shocking painful currents, as if my whole being was hoovered by the dental suction tube. I asked for a referral to Dental Hospital but was assured that the other dentists would be doing the same. (He was an ‘award winning’ dentist, and I put my entire trust). He then performed root canal treatment on the same molar (I was undergoing IV Alendronic acid infusion and concerned about jaw necrosis). Four weeks later the root-canaled tooth was extracted, the dentist promising me that this would end my misery. With each procedure the pain was getting more unbearable. These 6 weeks, I had multiple injections sometimes even 7 local anaesthesia in one sitting for numbing.

I’m currently under the care of an Oral Health/Facial pain consultant who referred me for MRI scans, and I’ve been seen by a neurologist in 2021, ruled out trigeminal neuralgia and advised it’s Mandibular nerve injury due to dental procedures and that a surgery will not give relief.

I am on Pregablin and Oxcarbazapine three times daily. (Initially on Carbamazapine with several side effects)

I continue to suffer from severe nerve pain – every single day, several times – any time I eat.

First thing in the morning, the left side of the tongue feels tied at the back giving needle like /broken glass sensations with slight jaw/mouth/tongue movement (although I take the tablets just before bedtime and yet 4-5 hours later even a sip of water is agony lasting few minutes). Brushing my teeth triggers shooting nerve pain. Eating is a bit peculiar as initially it is extremely painful to eat, gradually easing out although not completely as the shocking pain strikes anytime.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum has experienced this?

Any professional suggestions for finding relief.

Will this pain ever go away?

Can the mandibular nerve heal by itself?

Any other therapies that may help?

In my case a Psychologist and a neurologist handled me and I am fine now after 2 years of treatment . Dont know my nerve was damaged or not but i had same issue .

Hope this info could help you

Vote:
Thank you. It's so comforting to get a response. And thank goodness your suffering has ended. A nerve pain in the mouth is so very debilitating. Only the person experiencing this can ever understand it.

I was seen by a neurosurgeon who discharged me after looking at my MRI scan. He was pretty confident that it is 'mandibular nerve' damage due to dental procedure.
Currently I can't imagine my life without the daily 'epilepsy drugs'. The next move maybe laser treatment but I've not as yet been referred. Even if I do get referred there'll be a long waiting list.
I will consider looking into what's helped you.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm sorry you are suffering from nerve pain. I've been practicing for 24 years and I do get people experiencing electric shock during local anesthesia administration. Just a few days ago, a young patient experienced his right vision blurriness temporarily for 10 minutes. Nerves have potential to heal and I'm sorry your nerves have been slow to respond. Hopefully your neurologist will follow up appropriately.

Vote:
I'm sorry you are suffering from nerve pain. I've been practicing for 24 years and I do get people experiencing electric shock during local anesthesia administration. Just a few days ago, a young patient experienced his right vision blurriness temporarily for 10 minutes. Nerves have potential to heal and I'm sorry your nerves have been slow to respond. Hopefully your neurologist will follow up appropriately.

Vote:
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately, my situation is unchanged and I am awaiting an appointment with the oral health consultant to discuss next steps.
I am glad your patient's eyesight recovered soon, those 10 minutes must have been very long and frightening for him.
I am still cross with my dentist that he did not acknowledge my neuropathic pain for several weeks despite me describing it as 'electric shock sensations' and ignored my request for onward referral prior to going ahead with an unplanned extraction. I also feel that if my condition had been diagnosed earlier (by onward referral) I could have had the benefit of instant treatment.

Vote:
Hello , go to a experienced neurologist ( surgeon ) . Last step is surgery but as my neuro surgeon who treated me said after taking all history , nature of damage and symtoms , they can order MRI and some other scans ,test than only it will be decided whether surgery can cure it or not .

Vote:

Ask a Question