Lump on lower jaw

For the past 2-3 weeks I have had a hard / bone like lump on my lower jaw. I have experienced no pain or other symptoms since I noticed the lump. It can’t move and the size has stayed consistent. What should I do / what is it?

Attachments

• E143EBEE-2711-4D03-8044-D82546CAFB2E.jpeg
    E143EBEE-2711-4D03-8044-D82546CAFB2E.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 119

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

On the photo it looks like what you have might be a bony growth or exostosis, or it might be a mandibular torus, which is usually bilateral and not only on one side. Both of this is not something to worry about. It is a bit strange that you only noticed it 2-3 weeks ago. I would suggest going to a dentist to do a radio-graph of the region in order to rule out any bony pathology and then monitor the region. If it increases in size, causes ulceration of the skin that covers the lesion or becomes painful, it is best that an oral surgeon has a look.

Vote:
Good day,

On the photo it looks like what you have might be a bony growth or exostosis, or it might be a mandibular torus, which is usually bilateral and not only on one side. Both of this is not something to worry about. It is a bit strange that you only noticed it 2-3 weeks ago. I would suggest going to a dentist to do a radio-graph of the region in order to rule out any bony pathology and then monitor the region. If it increases in size, causes ulceration of the skin that covers the lesion or becomes painful, it is best that an oral surgeon has a look.

I am going to go in on Friday (the first appointment available). Is there anything I should do in the meantime?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day.

No there is nothing you can do. And don't stress. Most likely it won't be anything to worry about

Vote:

Ask a Question