Lots of Pain ARGH!

Hello I am new here and would maybe like to ask some questions to see if I or the Dr were out of line. Or maybe both.

A little background details. I am 34, I went to the same dentist until I was in my mid twenties. I moved away for about 7 years and didn't really have any issues with my teeth but had a couple random cleanings, I would say 3 in that 7 year period. My parents and I have always done what the dentist recommended and I have always had regular cleaning since I was a child. I also take pretty good care of my teeth, I brush well and rinse, I try to floss daily but it's more like a few times a week.

When I was in Las Vegas last October I had a filling break out of my tooth from eating something. I new I was moving back to the East coast within a week so I would just wait to see a dentist. Well I wasn't even home a week when the tooth became infected and so I went to see my childhood dentist, whom didn't see me. No big deal the new dentist was very nice and told my my tooth was infected and that I needed a root canal. He gave me a referral, antibiotics, and some pain medication. I went to see the oral surgeon and he gave me a very large number for an estimate, $1500 without the crown. My insurance doesn't cover the procedure but I was told that I should try and save the tooth and not extract it. It's a molar, R3 and I use it to chew a lot. I told them that I would need to save up that sort of money and they didn't offer to do any payment plans. I work but barely make enough to keep up with bills, I just can't seem to save enough money. I don't want this to turn into a financial lecture, I don't grossly spend money on things I shouldn't, I am conservative. So almost a year goes by without another flair up, until two nights ago. I usually avoid chewing on that side of my mouth but I messed up. I am mainly a vegetarian, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, along with beans and rice etc....BUT I treated myself to some chicken thighs that I bbq on the grill and they came out so good that I just couldn't help myself chewing and bam, instant excruciating pain. I mean I have had a pneumothorax and pancreatitis in the past two years, not to mention a herniated disk crushing my sciatic nerve, and this pain was right up there or worse. I mean throbbing and screaming sharp pains non stop for two nights. It's really not even the tooth it's my jaw above the tooth and my face, I can't really open my mouth. I can't sleep, it's horrible. This morning I call the doctors office and they say they had a cancellation for 8am and they can see me. I was happy they could see me so soon. I honestly had the intention of going in there to tell them to just pull the thing out. In my early twenties I had similar infections for a wisdom tooth that they eventually extracted. The assistant took an x-ray and the doctor said that I have a real bad cavity and that I needed a root canal a year ago. I said I know but I haven't been able to come up with the money and that I am thinking of just pulling it. She told me that she wouldn't do it and referred me to an oral surgeon down the street. They told me to just walk down there and they would call and send over the x-ray. I figured this was strange that they would refer me to a surgeon for an extraction but I don't really care who does it as long as it gets done. So I go down to the oral surgeons office where they tell me they are swamped and the doctor has two surgeries booked today (Friday). They set me up an appointment for Monday. I asked what am I to do until then, I mean it is really bothering me and I am thinking of just ripping it out myself it's that bad. They told me not to do that. Anyway I went back to talk to my dentist and I was met with hostility. This is actually the daughter of my original dentist, she practiced under him for years and now has bought the business. Basically I went in and told the girls at the front desk that I was under the impression that this tooth could get pulled today and that they actually set me up for next week. I don't no if what I have is considered an emergency but it sure feels that way to me, I can't eat and I am in extreme amounts of pain. I asked if nobody can see me can I get some antibiotics and something for the pain. The doctor came out and pretty much went up one side of me down the other. I was told that I had a cavity 11 years ago that never got treated because of me. I had to correct her and say no I had a filling there but it fell out last year. She then said that since I failed to get a root canal within a year it's my fault I am in the situation I am in and that she didn't want to help me. I was confused. She continued to tell me that I don't come in for enough cleanings and that I only call for emergencies. Ah hello I wasn't living around here for 7 years and I have only called in two emergencies in the past year. Sorry but deciding to spend around $3k to fix an important tooth or having it pulled isn't a light decision. If I had expendable cash I would just try the root canal and hope it works. At this point I just want it out and they same to not be able to help me with that, well I have to suffer a few days until then. She ended up giving me tylenol 3 and amoxicillin. I continued to get lectured by the girls in the front desk that I can't expect to have the world jump for me in an emergency because I failed to take care of my own teeth. Her and the doctor both said "you only come here for emergencies" several times. I then asked who do I call for a dental emergency? I am so confused. Isn't the dentist there for that exact purpose? I am willing to have to wait for the procedure but at the very least have some bedside manner and make me comfortable. I am in a lot more pain than I was a year earlier. I get, let me know that I should have taken care of this sooner, and yes I get it I need more cleanings but I feel I shouldn't be treated differently. I felt so tired and out of it from the pain that my mother took me so I didn't have to drive. She couldn't believe how they talked to me. She hasn't been going to them for the past 15 years so I guess that tells me something. I am switching dentists.

I really just can't believe how I was treated, I feel like they didn't want to help me and that she somehow took it personal that I haven't been in several years. I feel I shouldn't have to explain that I moved away and recently moved back, it's none of their business. I think they just want to do cleanings and general practice and have moved away from the nitty gritty part of dentistry. Maybe for liability purposes I don't know. If that's the case I don't care just point me in the right direction. It's just strange that a dentist won't pull a tooth. I remember when I had the wisdom tooth extracted, it took like 15 minutes, I pulled out a couple hundred dollars and we were both happy with the transaction. But getting someone to help me out while I am in severe pain is like pulling teeth ;)

Thanks for reading I would like some professionals and patients opinions on the matter.

i sympathize with you, i am no dentist but i've been treated in similar ways and, eventually had to go to the er to get antibiotics. I would reccomend you find another dentist personally. Hope things improve for you. :)

Vote:

Ask a Question