Loss of taste

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I went to see a new dentist just before Thanksgiving last year. I told the hygienist I was sensitive to the ultrasonic and she offered to use some local anesthesia where the most sensitive area is (bottom front). She put quite a lot of it on there. During the cleaning it was running down my tongue and throat and I was feeling like I was going to choke. Afterwards my tongue felt swollen and sandpapery. I noticed that day my lunch had no taste. The next day I was still noticing a loss of taste so I called them. They said it can take a couple days but I had never had this happen before. I called about a week later and they said I must’ve had an allergic reaction. They prescribed a mouth cleanser but I was wary of taking it. Went to an ENT who told me to give it some time, use a non-sulfate (?) toothpaste, and if it didn’t get better they could try cortisone (I think) on my tongue. I haven’t been back. I do have some taste but I know it’s not the same as it used to be. This dentist also did 12 x-rays which I thought was excessive. My tongue at times feels slightly burned. Is this permanent damage? Any advice? I really miss being able to taste things like I used to.

Solutions
Sounds like an allergy to me. You need to identify a component causing this reaction. So, see a doctor who can perform allergy test

Vote:

Ask a Question