Loose tooth after accident?

30th December 2017
I fell down on ice and hit my three upper front teeth while I was iceskating. One of the affected teeth wiggled a little bit if I move it with my hands. All of them hurt even without touching.

31st December 2017
I went to a dental clinic. Found out that all three of the affected teeth have craze lines, one possibly cracked and that one was still hurting even without touching. The other two didn't hurt anymore and confirmed to be just craze lines by the doctor. The doctor said it needs a root canal treatment and a crown. The doctor did no x-ray, no electric test. The doctor tested with a sharp steel pin.

5th January 2018
I went to a different dental clinic. The doctor tested using x-ray, electric test and a sharp steel pin. I thought the tooth doesn't move anymore. So, I answered to the doctor the tooth is not loose anymore. The tooth hurt only when it's hit with a little force. My tooth didn't respond to the electric test. The doctor confirmed that my tooth doesn't need any crown but it needs a root canal treatment. She also said that there is no inflammation by pointing at the x-ray result.

6th January 2018
I went to the same clinic(from 5th jan) for root canal treatment. Another doctor tested using a steel pin. Force from the bottom hurts more than from the front. Pressure on gum also hurt but not as much as hitting the tooth from the front. I answered to the doctor the tooth doesn't move anymore. He confirmed by trying to move it. He said my tooth nerve still has 50% chance to be healed by itself. He told me to wait 6 months.

10th January 2018
I tested myself with my finger. The tooth still hurt if I hit it with a little force but not as much as on 6th Jan. I look into the mirror and found out that it doesn't align with other teeth correctly. It's a little bit lower than the other one on the right. So, I tried moving up with my hand. It moved up. It doesn't hurt by moving. it just moved. It only hurts to force like hitting. However, the tooth is not loose enough for tongue to move.

My concern is that I answered to the doctor that the tooth doesn't move anymore when in fact, it still moves if I move it with my hand. As I mentioned, the doctor also confirmed about it by moving with his hands but it's not that noticeable because he didn't use that much of pressure. Should I go back to the doctor again? what should I do?

Last edited:
Solutions
Firstly stop wiggling the tooth yourself. Secondly, don't go iceskating again without wearing a mouthguard!

Go back to the dentist, tell him what's happening and ask them whether they can splint" the tooth (this is not that nice but will hopefully keep the tooth safe while the ligament and bone heal). Be careful not to grind on it. Maybe you need a nightguard too to stop you accidentally knocking it when you sleep. Whatever you do ask them to use the most minimally invasive method.

By the way you cannot tell whether or not you need a root canal so soon after an accident, it can take a few weeks for it to be apparent in an x ray. I hope your teeth do heal well.

Vote:
Hi, thank you for the reply. I went to the doctor yesterday. He said it's normal to be loose and it will be ok again after a few months. Splinting is required only if it's loose more than that.

18th January 2018
My tooth wasn't sensitive until yesterday. My tooth didn't respond to electric test 13 days ago and All of a sudden, now it's sensitive to cold water and air. What does it mean?

Vote:
status update

20th January 2018
Started using syndrome toothpaste that has potassium nitrate and sodium fluoride. it doesn't have stannous fluoride. I also take 1 cod liver oil and 1 cup of full fat milk everyday in the morning. I still feel pain when I drink cold water and it's also sensitive to air. It's not sensitive to not so hot water.

23rd January 2018
my tooth is still sensitive to cold water and air. it's not sensitive to hot water. One thing I noticed today is that the other one on the right is also sensitive and it also hurts when it hits with a force. Don't know if my tooth is still loose or not. I don't test my tooth by myself anymore because the doctor told me not to. I'll call the left front tooth 'A' and the right front tooth 'B' to make it easier to refer.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Well that's good news. IIt doesn't sound like it's going to fall out anytime this decade. As long as you don't do any dangerous sports you should be ok.

Vote:

Ask a Question