Loose crown fitted to 'dead' tooth - loose after 9 months

Tim

Hi,

I damaged one of my upper front teeth about 18 years ago in a cycling accident. Although the tooth looked undamaged, it had nerve damage and was 'dead'. So early last year I noticed the tooth was starting to darken in colour and decided to get a crown fitted.

When the dentist ground down the tooth so a crown could be attached, the remaining stump was almost black, and the dentist called over his assistant to show her, saying he'd never seen anything like it before.

So 9 months later the crown has become very loose after biting into some crusty bread. As this has happened over the Christmas break, my dentist is on holiday until 8th Jan, so I've had to see another dentist at the same practice for an emergency appointment. She took an x-ray and has basically told me that the tooth has rotted away, there's nothing to re-attach the crown to and that the tooth needs to come out! I have to wait until my dentist is back from his holiday to see what he wants to do!

So my question is this - surely my dentist should have advised me that the tooth was clearly not up to the job and that attaching a crown for £215 was a waste of my money, and given me other options. Should I ask them to refund me or provide a bridge or other replacement at no cost? I'm pretty cheesed off and also I'm supporting my family on one income atm so we don't have any spare cash.

Cheers, Tim

Ask a Question