Lingual alveolar fracture

Can anyone tell me about these? Symptoms ? Diagnosing ? Treatment ? Potential problems and symptoms if left untreated and anything else that might have relevance?

Insufficient information about the procedure etc.
I started having problems last winter with my #10 tooth. It was causing me incredible pain in turn causing me to seek treatment. I went to a local dentist who told me that it was fine and looked good, after a few additional visits for some other work I decided to get a root canal treatment done. After successfully completing the procedure the pain from my tooth had not subsided. I finished my remaining treatments and sought a 2nd opinion. New Dr. gives me the same prognosis, and over the course of a few more visits I was provided with a nighttime mouth guard and advised that if it wasn't from grinding then it was neuropathic and not much can be done if that was the case. Well I wore the guard that night, woke up and took it off and my teeth were in even more pain than pre-mouthguard days. A couple days later the pain in my mouth had only gotten worse so I got in my car and drove to the dentist's office where upon examining my xrays he concluded I have a " possible lingual alveolar fracture." I'm curious as to why that wasn't ruled out based on my initial complaint. Were they being negligent or ?...

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Tooth #10 is the upper left lateral incisor (2nd from front); please correct me if I'm wrong.
A lingual alveolar fracture means that the bone on the inner side has broken, and you'd need a good blow for that to happen; your tooth would be at the back of your throat.
Can you get a copy of the finished Xray of this tooth to put up here?

Vote:

Ask a Question