Lichen Planus gums (sorry to post again!)

Solutions
Hi there

I have Lichen Planus on my gums, particularly next to my upper teeth. I’m in constant pain. I’m currently using steroid gel 4 times a day, but it doesn’t seem to be working after 1 week of use.

Does anyone have any advice please?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If steroid gel is not working, then it is not Lichen Planus. I'm suspecting viral herpetic lesions (images would help).

Vote:
Solutions
If steroid gel is not working, then it is not Lichen Planus. I'm suspecting viral herpetic lesions (images would help).
Here’s a photo of my gums. They’re very inflamed and sore

Attachments

• FFE57A4F-3FB8-4F04-AB87-6A15FBCFA1F2.jpeg
    FFE57A4F-3FB8-4F04-AB87-6A15FBCFA1F2.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 137

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I had studied your posts and images. I don't think you have Lichen Planus or herpetic lesions. I think you may be over traumatizing your gums by brushing too hard and using a harsh whitening tooth paste. On various images, I see some evidence of toothbrush damage such as cervical abrasion and gum recession. You may have an obsessive disorder or unrealistic expectations.

If you want to whiten your teeth, try some Over the Counter whitening strips and look into whitening options with your dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
I had studied your posts and images. I don't think you have Lichen Planus or herpetic lesions. I think you may be over traumatizing your gums by brushing too hard and using a harsh whitening tooth paste. On various images, I see some evidence of toothbrush damage such as cervical abrasion and gum recession. You may have an obsessive disorder or unrealistic expectations.

If you want to whiten your teeth, try some Over the Counter whitening strips and look into whitening options with your dentist.
I brush with an electric toothbrush with a soft head. I’m l really careful not to brush too hard. I smoke, which doesn’t help things.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Before I went to dental school, I tried to whiten my own teeth with whitening toothpaste. My teeth were damaged similar to yours. Teeth do not whiten from brushing no matter how long or how hard you apply. Try to gently floss and brush (massage) the red gums and allow it to heal. If they continue to be red, it could be hormonal fluctuations or medication related. Don't use mouth rinses because they could cause further (chemical) irritation. Your teeth look fine, just need to watch the redness in the gums.

Vote:
Solutions
But you said that my teeth look damaged :( I‘ve been told I have nice teeth. I haven’t whitened them myself, I had Zoom done professionally a year ago. Nor do I use whitening toothpaste.

Vote:

Ask a Question