Laser root scaling and cost and other things - Rant warning

I've been reading through a number of forums and finally have come across this one which has some useful information other than justifying the cost of dental work.

I've read some statements like
- how to educate the blue collar on the importance of dental work
- can we get patients to sign a form that they understand by forgoing this treatment we aren't held liable for the decline of their gum disease?

Not the most helpful stuff. Having just visited a periodontist a few weeks back, I can honestly say that I have the mental capacity to fully understand that by not getting a laser root cleaning done that it wasn't going to be good for me. I think most, even the 'Blue Collar' workers can understand this simple truth. My toothies hurts - take away pain please

The problem is that from a patient standpoint, the industry has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years since I first had braces done in my early 20's. A few things that come to mind.

Let me say that the assumption that someone is STUPID or POOR because they can't afford or have to take a few days to consider an 8k procedure without getting a second opinion is nuts.

I truly hope this isn't the attitude of the entire industry and I was only reading articles from minority of the community.

To be fair, I hadn't been to the dentist in years. Once I had children, they become the priority. My dental work took a back seat to braces and checkups for the kiddos. At 44, I went back to see the damage. I didn't have a single cavity as I brush regularly but I did have some terrible gum issues which required a scaling. The Periodontist recommended Laser scaling as otherwise I would end up with long teeth and wouldn't heal well if I had normal scaling and gum surgery. The cost was 8k. My dental rider didn't cover it. None of it. I told her than I needed to think on it and it would be a few weeks. I was told to decide quickly as it was important.

What I wanted to know is if 8k is pretty much the industry standard for this kind of treatment? If so, how could anyone be surprised when a "blue collar" worker, as I mentioned above, could forgo the treatment? I don't know about most people but after the last few years of this economy, 8k in cash isn't something most people have laying around, poor, blue collar or otherwise.

The financing. Sometimes it feels like the dental community acts more like the plastic surgery industry. I had some hand surgery last year which was done by a plastic surgeon. I noticed the medical financing pamphlets available for patients. Same pamphlet I received at my last dental appointment and at the periodontist. Financing available...at a high interest rate from some bloodsuckers that pay us up front so we don't have bother with you in case you don't pay. Of course, most people that are low income or have sub-par credit, aren't going to be able to get a loan. I understand this must be for a good reason. I'm sure it's difficult to collect from patients so the 3rd party is a better option but there has to be a few other options that that one company for all dentists, orthodontist, periodontists and plastic surgeons.

Years ago, when I had braces, I financed through my orthodontist. Every time I had a visit, I paid him. When the work was finished, my debt was paid. If I hadn't had the case to make a payment, I would have to rescheduled an appointment. Like I said, I'm sure there's a reason for the switch from in house to 3rd party lender but if that's the only option, other than cash, why a dentist be surprised when a patient would forgo financing if they can't afford cash?

Rant over.

My point. Is 8k pretty much average for a laser root cleaning? Is there a cheaper option? If there a way for me to finance without having to have a perfect credit score so I can get the work done? I'm asking because nobody has had any answers at my dentists or periodontists office. They are having a hard enough time collecting the money from my dental insurance company.

Will a standard root cleaning where they have to cut off some gums leave me with hideous "long" teeth? This is what I was told. Look long in the tooth or get the lazer treatment.

Is most of the dental industry oblivious to the fact that most folks, even ones that make a decent living, can't always afford dental treatment? I have to think this is not the case but it can feel that way sometimes.

Without medical insurance, most people, even ones that make over 6 figures a year, couldn't afford medical care. I have great medical insurance. My hand surgery ran about 75k. Glad I was paying a ton of money for my health insurance plan. Unfortunately the same doesn't go for dental. Being self employed, there really isn't much out there for dental insurance other than riders that you can add on to the medical insurance plan. Most dental plans are terrible, rarely pay and make it nearly impossible to navigate the system. If having healthy teeth is so important, why is it treated by the medical community more like getting a nose job than something that's medically necessary to remain healthy?

Thanks,

Robert

Ask a Question