Jaw Popping

Hello. I'm 28 years old and my jaw has made popping/clicking sounds any time I open it even slightly for as long as I can remember (I remember dentists commenting about it in elementary school). I've been to probably 6 different dentists throughout my life and since I have no pain/discomfort, they never had any concerns. I don't have any wear on my teeth from excessive grinding.

I saw a new dentist today (the practice changed owners). She was not happy with my jaw. She tried making it close in different positions to make the sounds stop, but they didn't. She refused to believe that it's not painful to me. I told her that I do clench my jaw during the day if I'm stressed. She said that means that I am clenching all night as well. (I sleep on my side and I snore. My mouth is rarely closed when sleeping from what I've been told. But I guess I could be wrong).

She wants me to get a night guard and consider a device during the day. I really don't see the need at this point? She didn't even have time to tell me A) What the condition actually is and B) What the problems would be in the future without treatment.

I usually have the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" attitude but I also don't want to create a problem by not doing anything. I just want to know why she was so worried about it when 5 dentists before her (younger and older) weren't concerned. Any ideas?

Solutions
Sorry no one has replied. You might read up on TMJ. I think you have jaw popping with that but if it doesn't bother you I don't have any idea what you would do. I would say to get another opinion but you have already did that. I thought I might have TMj with all the problems I am having but they haven's said anything about it. Good luck with what you find out.

Vote:

Ask a Question