Is this root resorption?

So i have read that root resorption usually does not affect the lamina dura on x rays and that the lamina dura will keep following the tooth as the root resorption progresses. However i have this x rays where i cant seem to figure out weather there is a root resorption or not? What do you guys thinks is wrong with this root, because something is off? i added the picture as an attachment.

Attachments

• rr.png
    rr.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 143

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A very low res photo. It appears that the canal has been deliberately filled to the end of the canal or else we'd see it extending farther. So I would not advise intervention at this stage. Try and get copies of Xrays taken previously to get some idea of changes over time..

Vote:
A very low res photo. It appears that the canal has been deliberately filled to the end of the canal or else we'd see it extending farther. So I would not advise intervention at this stage. Try and get copies of Xrays taken previously to get some idea of changes over time..

THank you. Yes i also found the picture very hard to see propperly. However i dont understand why you got to the conclusion that the root canal has been filled to the end of the canal? could it not be instead that it was longer, the canal and tooth that is that that the tooth then has been through resorption and ended up this way?. I just added a new photo where i drew some lines. Could it not be that the tooth went as far as to the green area before, then the yellow part is what resorbed and what is left now is up to the red part?. I know usually that lamina dura is said to follow the tooth once it resorbs in our dental books, but i have seen pictures of resorption where you can still see lamina dura a bit further apically to the root, to where it went before, and i dont know if my eyes are seeing things which are not there but i feel i can see a slight lamina dura up to the green line...what do you think? and can you please explain further? Also is it ok if i send you a private message with the whole x ray?

Attachments

• rr.png
    rr.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 132

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the root canal had been filled farther than what we can see, and THEN the root resorbed, then some GP would be sticking through the apparent apex. It certainly looks resorbed and that your green line indicates the original apex, but I'm thinking that someone root-filled it AFTER the resorption and did the best they could. Whether this has worked to stop further resorption would require that the patient has no other signs or symptoms, and that we could get a radiographic timeline if possible.
So is this a patient that has come into your surgery for the first time? Do you know any details about the root filling, like when it was done?
Sure, you can PM me if you wish, but it's not a bad idea to put it up here for all to see - other dentists might have different opinions.

Vote:

Ask a Question