Is this infected?

Hello!!

Wondering if you can help. I've had my lower back molar extracted (it's my first) and I'm worried about dry socket. I stuck to smooth food/liquid for first 24 hours and now 4 days post op Im still eating on my opposite side.

I think the clot is still in place but Im worried its infected. I dont have any infection linked symptoms but my gums are sore (I do think where I had the local injection has caused a nick in my gum which is causing a scratch type pain) Is this normal?
And when I look at my gum (picture attached) it looks sort of yellow and not the bright red.

Any help MUCH appreciated!!!! (sorry for the pics)
IMG_6568.jpeg
IMG_6567.jpeg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From the image, it looks normal. You can feel the tongue and cheek side of the area as well as under your jaw for any swelling and pain. Let the extraction site close up and minimize disturbance. If you feel any swelling, go back to the dentist for followup.

Vote:
From the image, it looks normal. You can feel the tongue and cheek side of the area as well as under your jaw for any swelling and pain. Let the extraction site close up and minimize disturbance. If you feel any swelling, go back to the dentist for followup.

Thank you so so much for the reply! Put my mind more at ease, I'll give it time for the swelling to go down as appreciate its probably quite the trauma!
Do you know in your experience how long these sites take to close/heal?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you so so much for the reply! Put my mind more at ease, I'll give it time for the swelling to go down as appreciate its probably quite the trauma!
Do you know in your experience how long these sites take to close/heal?
Yes, normal healing is underway. Two weeks for initial healing of wound by which time the skin will have covered over, then 2-3 months for the bone and gum to reorganise and lose the lumpiness of the wound.
BTW, you look like you're fairly young; late teens? I can see your 2nd molar. Check for a 3rd molar (wisdom tooth) behind the 2nd molar. If you have a wisdom, you should talk to your dentist about having it extracted before it pushes over the 2nd molar.

Vote:
Yes, normal healing is underway. Two weeks for initial healing of wound by which time the skin will have covered over, then 2-3 months for the bone and gum to reorganise and lose the lumpiness of the wound.
BTW, you look like you're fairly young; late teens? I can see your 2nd molar. Check for a 3rd molar (wisdom tooth) behind the 2nd molar. If you have a wisdom, you should talk to your dentist about having it extracted before it pushes over the 2nd molar.

Ahh ok so I was being too keen and quick dang it!! I was hoping to be back to eating crisps by now but guess Ill have to wait two weeks boo :( do you know is it likely the clot will dislodge now? Or can I chill out about that? Also sounds stupid but what does the skin look like healed over? Currently it's just getting smaller but still as above (granted its only been a day since I posted ha) when can I safely eat back on that side? Ill take that as a compliment I'm 27! I had my back molars removed surgically when I was 4 :-o I keep thinking I have wisdom teeth but I can't seem to see or feel any? Although there isn't much space for it mind!

Vote:
Ok so update on tooth-it appears to almost not be covering the full thing anymore? it's as if it's breaking down. We are now 5 days post extraction-is this normal?? Am i at risk of dry socket still? It's yellow/white-not sure if this is granulating tissue?
Also next to it on the gum you can see a small white line with some red around it-this is what's hurting the most it feels like a sharp scratch-Im guessing its where they put the injection.
Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 362

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The extraction site looks good. The pink gums around the area indicates good healing response as opposed to bright red and swelling. As my note on another post, "the white/yellow material is the regenerating epithelial layer that is exposed to air. Underneath is your wounds natural clotting proteins that act as a scaffold for regenerating cells (odontoblasts) to naturally close the "hole." In about 4-6 months, the wound site on x-ray should fill in similar to the surrounding bone area This is similar bone grafting concept for implant placement and bone healing."

Vote:
The extraction site looks good. The pink gums around the area indicates good healing response as opposed to bright red and swelling. As my note on another post, "the white/yellow material is the regenerating epithelial layer that is exposed to air. Underneath is your wounds natural clotting proteins that act as a scaffold for regenerating cells (odontoblasts) to naturally close the "hole." In about 4-6 months, the wound site on x-ray should fill in similar to the surrounding bone area This is similar bone grafting concept for implant placement and bone healing."

Ok this is greatly reassuring I love hearing some science behind whats happening! I guess I just want to make sure I respect the dentists work too...so is there a chance of me 'bursting' or 'knocking' the clot out? Or is it pretty safe now? Normal then to be shrinking over the hole?
Sorry for 20 questions!

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I wouldn't eat "crisps" on that site until you see pink similar to the surrounding areas. In the US, we call it "chips." The hole will shrink because once you lose teeth, you lose bone as well. The only way to preserve bone especially for future implant(s) is to put in bone grafts. The bone grafts provide further scaffolding for regenerating bone to form.

Vote:
Hello,

Me again-so we are healing nicely the 'hole' feels smaller every day. My worry now (having got over a fear of dry socket) is that it hasn't 'closed over' instead its as if the clot has collapsed on it'self and there is now a crater-this means despite my best efforts tiny flecks of food are going in. I do wash it out and still chew on one side. I have little to no pain or anything and no other symptom.
Is this normal??

Vote:
It takes 2-3 months to fully reshape and heal. Nothing you can do or eat now will cause any damage.

Ohhh that's good to know, thank you so much for taking the time to leave comments. It's been greatly reassuring and I don't know what I would have done without it!! I didn't think to ask the dentist these things and I don't have a follow-up appointment. It was just tooth out....bye. And of course, all these things come up as you're experiencing them.

Vote:

Ask a Question