Is this correct diagnosis of tooth decay?

My daughter has just been diagnosed having early decay in her fourth upper tooth on the left (behind the canine) from a new dentist. Do you see any decay in the x-rays provided here? Its all very strange, given that she's 20 yrs old, exemplary mouth/teeth hygiene, no previous teeth problems, consumes little sugar (just drinks water and cannot consume sugar due to dietary constraints).
I ask as we cannot get access to another dentist until the end of October, and her severe anxiety around this is causing her sleepless nights and extreme anxiety levels. Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you. Kim

Attachments

• X-ray 1.jpg
    X-ray 1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 33
  • X-ray 2.jpg
    X-ray 2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 37

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's very hard to view the x-rays but I see small incipient lesions in-between teeth that do not need fillings. Request a prescription for Sodium Fluoride 5000 ppm toothpaste to use as leave-in gel after brushing and flossing. From these x-rays, I don't see anything urgent and she can wait for another opinion preferably someone you can trust.

Vote:
It's very hard to view the x-rays but I see small incipient lesions in-between teeth that do not need fillings. Request a prescription for Sodium Fluoride 5000 ppm toothpaste to use as leave-in gel after brushing and flossing. From these x-rays, I don't see anything urgent and she can wait for another opinion preferably someone you can trust.
Thank you so much for your incredibly helpful and reassuring reply. We were wondering as she eats very little dairy, whether she may have a calcium deficiency. Is this likely to have caused the incipient lesions in-between the teeth or are there other more likely causes? Many thanks for your help; it's really appreciated.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Lack of calcium does not cause incipient cavities. Usually it is the sugars that turn into acids that causes them. Although dairy has important nutrients, it does have lactose sugars that can cause cavities (think baby bottle rot). The Sodium Fluoride 5000 ppm will help control the incipient caries. Have your daughter eat more dairy and take calcium and vitamin D supplements to minimize osteoporosis later in life.

Vote:

Ask a Question