Is this a cavity?

I've done cbct for different reasons but my dentist told me that I have cavity that need to be filled.

I'm new town and so I'm not familiar with this dentist and want to make sure he's right.

I've marked the tooth in question.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This is indeed a cavity. Might even end up being a root canal treatment instead of only a normal filling.

Vote:
Thank you. I get it done yesterday, it wasn't that bad.

Could you take a look at lower tooth with periapical inflammation.
Should go for retreatment or extraction?
Tooth was treated 6 years ago, inflammation started to show up on xrays about 4 years ago.
Till lately tooht was asymptomatic, now in quite sensitive to touch.

One dentist proposed retreatment other preferred extraction.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A re-treatment can be attempted by an endodontist. But there is always the risk that the infection can return again. You also have to weigh the financial implications of a re-treatment, compared to an extraction and replacement.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would prefer to base an opinion on dental bitewing and periapical xrays rather than a distorted CBCT. Any to show us?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Well, you started this thread by asking about decay in an upper molar. Using CBCT is an expensive, radio-intense, innacurate, and inappropriate (unethical?) way to look for decay.
A typical single dental bitewing for decay is about 5 microSv compared to 300-500 microSv for a large dental CBCT such as you show. CBCT are useful in endo for individual teeth where there is a small FoV (field of view) and doses are much better at 40 microSv.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
CBCT in endo is good for cross-sectional views to investigate the location and number of canals, pulp chamber size and degree of calcification, root structure, direction and curvature, fractures, and iatrogenic defects.

Vote:

Ask a Question