Is this a cavity?

I saw this pin hole on my molar and I'm concerned it's a cavity. If it is I worry I might have more. I am 36 I haven't had a cavity since highschool.

I'm kind of OCD about my teeth. I brush 3 minutes twice daily with electric brush and floss most nights and some nights use fluoride rinse. I have always been complemented at the dentist in the past for clean teeth and no cavities. Can't understand how I could suddenly have a cavity. Last dentist visit was 12 months ago but that time they didn't take x-rays, they said everything was fine.

If it is a cavity how big is it likely to be?

Picture:

Better picture:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

This might not be a cavity. When you go see a dentist, we take x-rays as well as probe teeth. If that spot feels soft and sticky, it might be caries. If it is hard, it is only arrested caries, which is not harmful. The best would be to see your dentist for an evaluation, especially if it has been a while since you have been for a check-up.

Vote:
Sorry I forget this picture (attached), It actually looks like there are two holes depending on the angle.

I'm going to organize an appointment soon. If it's arrested is it not at high risk of starting again due to not being able to clean it effectively. Is it really advisable to leave it in that case or can they somehow smooth out the area to make it easier to clean? I would like to avoid a situation in future where it becomes a more serious issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_114806.jpg
    IMG_20210922_114806.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 37

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The best way to avoid most bad situations in the future is to get regular check ups. Cavities are not the only bad situation in the mouth. You can lose your teeth if your gums and bone deteriorate. Although fairly rare, you don't want oral tumors/cancers in the mouth and bone.

If you have very tiny cavities, your saliva has minerals that can arrest or reverse them. Depending on your next exam findings, you may have low cavity risk. If you're getting rampant cavities between your teeth, you may be consuming too much sugary beverages like Starbucks and need to cut back. Again, regular checkups are essential.

Vote:
Generally me and my wife try to make appointments approx every 6 months but due to COVID it was 12 months since our last appointment.

Today I went to the dentist. It turns out the tooth had a sealant on it at one point long ago and the visible hole I could see was in the old sealant, perhaps an air bubble they think, sadly after they removed it, they found decay in tooth underneath.

Luckily it seems it wasn't too bad and they were able to drill and fill it with no numbing and no pain.

Otherwise, they found no other cavities in my teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question