Is there any compensation for routine hygienist appointments being cancelled?

Solutions
I can appreciate that routine appointments are cancelled during covid-19. My hygienist appointment has been cancelled and I’m not sure when my next hygienist appointment will be – who does? I pay a subscription to Denplan for regular hygienist and dental appointments, dental insurance etc.

Should dental practices be offering some compensation for a reduced provision of service whilst making savings on their wages bill? If hygienists are employed by the practice, they can be furloughed. If they are self-employed they will be compensated in June. Surely, these savings can be passed on to patients by giving compensation for lost hygienist appointments.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, it's not some kind of windfall for dentists to close up shop and lay off staff. There's rent to pay, utilities to pay, equipment to maintain and pay, materials expire their use-by date and need replacing... And then the dentist isn't making money for him/herself to pay for their own livelihood - food, mortgages, ....
Personally, I am going through hell trying to keep things going to at least to help out patients with urgent problems and to keep my staff going financially and mentally. I want them to come back to me after this is all over.
And you want compensation because you can't maintain your teeth without assistance? I had a patient y'day with a huge infected cyst (4cm diameter) that I spent a lot of time and telephone calls to get her into a hospital. Get real - you don't "appreciate" anything in your world.

Vote:
Solutions
Thank you, MattKW. I really value your opinion. Aren't most people having some kind of financial/mental struggle right now? I'm self-employed with probably no income until June at the earliest. I need to save money where I can.

I just came across this from the plan site (not sure if I can post links): covid.practiceplangroup.co.uk/adminfee

Surely, this saving can be passed down to patients?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
So, you have to decide on priorities, and a hygienist visit isn't up there. That's where you save you money.
That's a corporate site you're referring to, not a private dental practice. I've sent 2 letters requesting negotiation with my landlord and all I have received in reply is the usual monthly invoice last night.
Maybe you should contact Denplan for a discount instead.

Vote:

Ask a Question