Is second opinion required for unhealthy looking gums?

I have very noticeable dark red gums on the upper right from teeth numbers 1-5. I have not had good oral hygiene recently and only started really paying attention to the gums about 3 weeks ago after about a year and a half since last dentist visit. The gingivitis in other sections of the mouth seemed to clear up very quickly but the dark red gums on one side seems to have gotten better but still very noticeable.

When I went to the dentist this week he said my gums look fairly good despite a bit of gingivitis and when I asked about this area he said it is fine. He took an x-ray and said there was no bone loss and no gum disease. Is it possible that the dentist didn't see this as he only looked at the gums from behind the teeth not in front? I was thinking of waiting a few weeks and if the gums don't return to a pink colour going to another dentist, would this be the correct action to take? With good oral hygiene how long should I expect for this to go away?

It is hard to see in the image but it looks very noticeable in real life as there is basically a line between the two teeth with different gum colours. It was initially a very dark red but now it is looking more like a red/grey colour.

Attachments

• GumImage.PNG
    GumImage.PNG
    278.4 KB · Views: 42
Should I be checking at another dentist to see if there is a problem with the gums? I am worried that when I went to the dentist he only looked at the gums facing inwards not on the outside of the teeth. Are dentists usually skilled in spotting issues with gums? Thanks

Vote:

Ask a Question