Is my bite misaligned? How does dentist tell?

I feel that my inner bottom lip is touching the teeth like there is too much? It sounds silly but I’m worried. How does a dentist tell if someoens bite is off or teeth issues? - does it look like it in pictures!?

Attachments

• 952E6571-5427-4E76-832C-F355A1228095.jpeg
    952E6571-5427-4E76-832C-F355A1228095.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 213273B3-0269-4E71-A875-43B71663101F.jpeg
    213273B3-0269-4E71-A875-43B71663101F.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 25A856C8-CE44-4127-8CA6-8FDA43D5B733.jpeg
    25A856C8-CE44-4127-8CA6-8FDA43D5B733.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 78

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Judging from your photo, you clearly have what we sometimes refer to as a "gummy" smile, which means that you show a lot of gingiva when smiling. Your lips look normal, but you also seem to maybe have a deep bite. This is where your upper incisors overlap your lower incisors, more than normal. This could lead to future problems, since a deep bite can lead to enamel loss at the back of your upper incisors, resulting in sensitivity and other problems.
I would go for a full consult with a dentist, who can evaluate it more clearly in person and then refer you to an orthodontist if this needs correcting.
You can also undergo a procedure called crown lengthening in your maxilla, which might increase the amount of tooth structure shown and decrease the amount of gingiva. This is all dependent on a more fulin depth examination though.

Vote:
thank
Good day

Judging from your photo, you clearly have what we sometimes refer to as a "gummy" smile, which means that you show a lot of gingiva when smiling. Your lips look normal, but you also seem to maybe have a deep bite. This is where your upper incisors overlap your lower incisors, more than normal. This could lead to future problems, since a deep bite can lead to enamel loss at the back of your upper incisors, resulting in sensitivity and other problems.
I would go for a full consult with a dentist, who can evaluate it more clearly in person and then refer you to an orthodontist if this needs correcting.
You can also undergo a procedure called crown lengthening in your maxilla, which might increase the amount of tooth structure shown and decrease the amount of gingiva. This is all dependent on a more fulin depth examination though.
Thank you for this, do you think this deep bite is what is causing the sudden feeling in my lower inner lips? My dentist still isn’t seeing people unless an emergency. Would you say this is an emergency or is there any worries? Can an deep bite be fixed? Or is it liveable that even if not fixed it shouldn’t cause too much problem? I’d worry what they would do as very anxious of dentist and struggled getting use to the filling last time, became obsessive over difference in mouth! Thanks

Vote:
Good day

Me again, is a deep bite common? Became so aware of it lol!

Vote:

Ask a Question