Is it good to mouthwash after EVERY meal/drink?

Best answers
I wonder since mouthwash contains fluoride and other ingredients... would it not somehow affect enamel/oral health if rinsing with the mouthwash after every single meal or acidic drink?

I have been doing so for the last 10 years or so and didnt have any dental problems. but now started to wonder should I carry on or not... cause for example since brushing after every meal might damage the enamel as far as I know, is there any health risk of using mouthwash after every meal?
thank you.

Ad

Advertisements

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Best answers
No particular risk, except maybe to your wallet. If you brush and floss well, then the contribution of a standard mouthwash (not a fluoride mouthwash) is negligible.

Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Best answers
Your questions about any health risk associated with mouthwash after every meal are legitimate. My concerns are constant chemical irritation to the oral tissues. I checked with ACT fluoride rinse and it doesn't seem to include alcohol. Alcohol can potentially harm the tissues long term. The second problem I encounter with people using mouth rinses is their tendency to take the lazy way out..."I don't feel like brushing and flossing so I'll rinse for 5 seconds and call it good."

Ask a Question