Is a bone graft needed in this case

Hey,

I had a tooth removed it was number 19 -- my molar. When the surgeon removed it he cut our the outer buckle wall. So What i have left is some bone or the inside buckle wall. The same surgeon says that an implant can be placed on this remain bone but I was under the impression that I would need a bone graft to replace that outer buckle wall. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends upon how well the bone heals. The loss of a buccal )outer) wall of bone would be a problem for front teeth where the appearance of the gumline is very important, but it's not so much of an issue for a molar. Have it assessed 3 months after the extraction.

Vote:
Ok thanks. Like I said the oral surgeon that cut the buckle wall out said that there would be enough bone for the implant but its hard to know who to trust now when doctors and surgeons tell you something. And Iwanted to check with some others first.
When my tooth was cut out i didnt know the buckle or the side wall would be cut out as well.

But thanks for the reply

Edit: So if the bone has healed well then that is enough bone to place the implant on? There is no chance of that buckle not being strong enough even if it healed back ok?

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Buccal walls are often removed for difficult extractions. Whether you have enough bone for an implant will have to be reviewed a few months after the extraction - I can't advise any more from this position.

Vote:

Ask a Question