Intense Pain 6 days after 4-tooth extraction, white thing in the wound.. Help please??

I had 4 teeth (premolars) extracted 6 days ago to make room for teeth movement (obviously I have braces).

Unfortunately, the pain is still as bad as it was on the first day despite the procedure having taken place almost a week ago. It's so painful I can hardly speak, eat or drink and as a result I'm having low blood sugar and dehydration.

I have washed 3 times daily with a mouthwash the dentist gave me, and for the first few days also used the warm salt water washes.

I'm getting most of the pain in the lower two extraction wounds. Here is an image of one of them (the other looks similar-ish). You might also notice from the picture that the gums around the extraction site have gone a very pale pinky white colour, which is lighter in real life than it is in the picture. I have been taking medication (such as Maxigesic and Panadol) but they hardly do anything.

f2ijwn.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality photo, it was the best I could do on my iPhone, and the farthest I could open my mouth while in heaps of pain. Does this look normal to you or should I get checked out for an infection/dry socket? It's hurting like hell I don't know what to do.

drmins

Verified Dentist
Dry sockets usually start after 3-4 days after extraction,especially when there are food lodgment in the extraction site or when the oral hygiene is poor. Its always recommended to have tooth or one side (right or left) extracted on one day and then wait for it to heal,before you extract the other side. This helps you pay better care and prevent biting with the wounded side.

A pack of eugenol dressing by your dentist may help. Your dentist will also confirm that there are no broken pieces of tooth (chances of which are very less).

Keep smiling.:)

Vote:
I had 4 teeth (premolars) extracted 6 days ago to make room for teeth movement (obviously I have braces).

Unfortunately, the pain is still as bad as it was on the first day despite the procedure having taken place almost a week ago. It's so painful I can hardly speak, eat or drink and as a result I'm having low blood sugar and dehydration.

I have washed 3 times daily with a mouthwash the dentist gave me, and for the first few days also used the warm salt water washes.

I'm getting most of the pain in the lower two extraction wounds. Here is an image of one of them (the other looks similar-ish). You might also notice from the picture that the gums around the extraction site have gone a very pale pinky white colour, which is lighter in real life than it is in the picture. I have been taking medication (such as Maxigesic and Panadol) but they hardly do anything.

f2ijwn.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality photo, it was the best I could do on my iPhone, and the farthest I could open my mouth while in heaps of pain. Does this look normal to you or should I get checked out for an infection/dry socket? It's hurting like hell I don't know what to do.

Vote:

Ask a Question