Inlay starting to hurt

i had a a top back molar with deep decay. The dentist drilled it out five weeks ago and put a temporary filling in which hurt for a week. He then put an inlay on it four weeks ago. It was fine for three weeks but over last few days I had sharp pains there and now it feels like it is throbbing and hurts when I press on it. I wondered why this might be. Do inlays take a while to settle? Why should it play up now? How will the dentist know what is going on? By X-ray? If he has to remove it, how difficult is that, or might he do root canal through the top of it. After the initial work cold food and drinks really hurts with all food. I am on blood thinner so can’t take inflammatory drugs.

Solutions
It can take a tooth like that three months or more to settle. Re-doing it should be fairly straightforward. Perhaps it is too high and the bite needs adjusting. Do you get an electric shock feeling when you eat hot food on it? If the root is dying you won't see much on x ray this soon after treatment. The dentist may well tell you to wait a bit longer. It's worth going back to check the bite. You should be able to take a smaller dose of ibuprofen on blood thinners as long as you protect your digestive system with antacid medication. Speak to your doctor.

Vote:
Thanks for your reply Busybee. I did get a sharp nagging pain., I suppose like a shock, It was fine for three weeks then last week had lots of pain, sharp when eating and drinking hot or cold drinks. Before that just very cold things set it off. He said cold things would set it off because close to nerve and that needed to settle down. The pain has cooled off last night, with a mouth wash and paracetamol. But the tooth feels uncomfortable, tender, as if I have an infection there, but how can that be if it is sealed off? I am wondering if he has removed all the decay because it was very deep and he was muttering that it was difficult getting down there. He said at the time if the inlay did not work he might do a root canal or pull it out. It’s a molar at the top next to the wisdom tooth. I am going back on Monday. What would be significance of nerve dying off? How do they redo an inlay if cemented down? I grind my teeth at night maybe that has done something to the inlay. I have guards but so difficult to sleep with them

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
If they need to redo the inlay then they just pop it off if they can or they drill it off, just as they did with the original tooth. It is very early days, but maybe your guard needs adjusting if you have had this work done. Guards can damage teeth if they are too high. Is it a hard guard?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If it's an inlay, they will have to drill it out.
If the tooth continues to give trouble, then maybe the depth of the decay was so deep that the nerve will be unable to recover. Then you might have to consider an RCT or extraction.
Don't take ibuprofen if you are on other forms of blood thinners! (Really, BusyBee!) All you can take is paracetamol.

Vote:
Solutions
You can take limited amounts of ibuprofen on blood thinners if your doctor agrees MattKW. You need to take a PPI or similar at the same time. It's not ideal but if you need to reduce inflammation then it can be done. I did say to check with the doctor.

NB apologies, I misread this as an onlay. Yes with an inlay you can only drill it off but I would still say check the guard and the bite first. I have had a tooth cracked with a hard guard and ended up needing treatment. They can be lethal (to teeth)

Vote:
Went back to my dentist after pain in my inlay two weeks ago. By then the pain had stopped so nothing was done. Now two weeks later it is hurting me again! Totally confused about what is going on. Is this a sign the nerve is dying or just sensitive still? I brushed my teeth and used a mouth wash and the pain was awful but then it stopped again. Last time he said may need root canal which costs in UK £500! or have the tooth extracted. If the cavity was so deep as it was in my case surely a root canal would be very difficult to do?

Vote:
If it's an inlay, they will have to drill it out.
If the tooth continues to give trouble, then maybe the depth of the decay was so deep that the nerve will be unable to recover. Then you might have to consider an RCT or extraction.
Don't take ibuprofen if you are on other forms of blood thinners! (Really, BusyBee!) All you can take is paracetamol.
Thanks for your comment. How will they decide on RCT or extraction?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
As regards whether extraction or RCT, they will have to outline the pros and cons, and the costs. the choice will then be up to you.

Vote:

Ask a Question