Infection not going away after second root canal and gum flap procedure

Hi

I am just looking for some ideas maybe questions I should be asking my endontist. I had a root canal in two teeth not take and infection ensued. With no dental insurance, I let the infection go too long. Lesson learned. A fistula appeared which is what prompted me to get my butt to the dentist. I went and had the root canals repeated and have been on at least two rounds of antibiotics to no avail to get rid of the infection. The endontist told me I would have to have the gum flap procedure (I don't know what it is called) if it didn't go away because she felt it was definitely in my bone. So 5 days ago I had the procedure. Took about an hour. Stitched up. A little sore. I have apparently lost about 10mm of bone and now it's a waiting game.

Until the infection started coming back yesterday and tonight the fistula is back. They had cut it off during the procedure. I go back on Wednesday to have the stitches removed but I am going to call the endontist tomorrow to let her know the infection is back. Oh and I have been taking 500 mg of ciproflox 2 times a day. I missed a dose two days ago.

Frankly I am scared. I don't understand why this infection is not going away. Could it be something more? I do have allergies and chronic sinusitis. It's spring but I have had my allergies somewhat under control.

Should I be asking the endontist anything else? Someone else did the gum flap procedure...an oral surgeon? I know I should know more but I am not clear about the differences between dentists sometimes.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The endodontist was the best person to do the apicocectomy; they have better tools and skills for that procedure. You'll have to back to the endo to see what might've happened. It's nothing to do with sinuses or hayfever.

Vote:
Thanks so much Matt! Strangely, I decided to rinse with some listerine and it literally went away within half an hour. I had eaten some tomato sauce and thought the acid in it might have irritated it. All of the swelling has gone but still a little tender. I'm going to contact the endo today.

Thanks again!

Vote:

Ask a Question