Infection after extraction ?

I had a wisdom tooth and another in front of it extracted on the 22nd July.
Over the next few days the 2nd site got swollen. I returned to the dentist and am just finishing a course of metranidazole and amoxicillin. 1 of each 3 times a day plus salt water 4 times a day.
No improvement at all, no real pain but a light dragging in my jaw under my ear and a bit of stiffness when I open my mouth.
What if anything can I do to help or what will the dentist do ? I'm concerned it might spread ?

Attachments

• 20200802_200527.jpg
    20200802_200527.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 116

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Based on your photo, it looks like everything is healing as it should. No need to worry. The stiffness in the jaw is normal after a wisdom tooth extraction, since the muscles in the associated area can be a little bit sore. This can happen due to the extraction procedure itself or even because of the local anaesthetic that was injected into the area.
For difficult wisdom teeth extractions, it can take up until 1 month for the hole to close completely as well as any lingering pain or sensitivity to go away.
My advice would be to observe the area and to give it some more time. Most likely everything will return to normal.

Hope this helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question